Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

Plural+ Awards 2014: "Life as a Hazara Refugee"

Interview with Khadim Dai, a young filmmaker from Pakistan. 1. What is your video about? I...

Stay Strong

All innocent children die When terrorists attack Everybody has to say good- bye Leaving their lives, and being trapped! People still have a strand of hope While trying to be optimistic Working hard, not to mope Praying every minute so that they don’t turn pessimistic. The t...

How migration enriches society

For centuries people have moved across the globe to pursue their dreams or just looking for a slig...

TV series review: Downton Abbey

I bet you already think I’m a hopeless romantic, but I’m not. Quite the opposite. And in spite...

Farah Chamma, a Palestinian poet

“You can’t prohibit young people from searching for the truth, and when they found out that yo...

PLURAL+ Awards 2014: “Borderless"

Interview with Ahmad Albakri, a young filmmaker from Palestine. 1. What is your video about?...

How am I ever going to afford a house?

The average property price in London, the city in which I grew up, has now reached £500,000. Meanwhile average rents are nearing £17,000. There is already little hope of me being able to get onto the housing ladder, and being able to rent seems just the same, so what will happen t...

7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue

The Theme of the 7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue (http://www.interfa...

My experience as a young person in the fight against corruption

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption." - Kurt Cobain. Corruption: is it a challenge or an obstacle? Or maybe it's an indication that something is wrong? In fact, corruption was the main cause for which the Tunisian revolution started back in 17th of December 2010. It’s bee...

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made t...