Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

What do you want to be in the future? A Career woman or a housewife?

It’s been 4 months since the last time I posted my article on VOY. I’ve been feeling too busy...

Youth voices must be heard in Kurdistan Region

When the current leaders of Kurdistan get older and die… Who will lead? In the 21st century the power that is leading the world is youth's, but in Kurdistan it's Old’s. Whether it is good or bad, is a different story. The first independent Kurdish Government was declared in 1992 an...

http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6

New report: how do children see their rights affected by digital media...

DOWNLOAD How do children see their rights affected by digital media and tools? In July and...

What Does Freedom Mean to the Common Man?

Last August, Malaysia celebrated our Independence Day, a mark of freedom for the nation as a whole...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Ha...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/16/were-worth-fighting-for-...

We're worth fighting for: Bring Back Our Girls

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. Three months ago, Boko Haram released a video showing its leader standing in front of armored vehicles mocking the B...

The issues run deeper (Emma Watson Speech on Gender)

Let me start off by saying a very well done to Emma Watson for being chosen to be Goodwill Ambassa...

Human Rights and Impersonation

Hello Everyone! I finally have returned to VOY after a long time, and would at first remind ev...

Making Your Voice Count for slum Dwellers (World Habitat Day 2014 “V...

The United Nations designated every first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter and habitation. It is also intended to remind the world that...

Mixed Feelings: Capital Punishment

The death penalty is the sentence of execution for lethal crimes and other capital crimes defined...