Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made t...

Today I speak !

Can you hear me thinking ? Because thinking is human. Can you see me existing ? Because my exist...

Child Workers in Indonesia

According to the International Labor Organisation, Indonesia is currently the 4th most populous country in the world with about 220 million people living there. About 30% of these people are under the age of 17 and about 3.2 million of these children work with some sort of labor. Some of the...

An Angry Black Youth

This video is in honor of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, and all of the B...

"We are the world"...every day.

"We are the world, We are the children, We are the ones who make a brighter day So,let's start...

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...

Am Black and Proud...

Am black and proud am glad to be black no matter d tribes they can never steal my pride...

Reason behind terrorist mentality

If you look ,the reason behind terrorism always related to the religion.No one consider this main...

Child Labor in India

Did you know that India has the largest amount of child laborers in the world? Human Rights Watch states, “More children in India work than anywhere else in the world”. There are 100-150 million children from ages 5 to 14 working, and nearly half of those children (at least 44 million) a...

Child Labor in China

Did you know that according to the China Labour Bulletin, in 2000, there were approximately 11,575,000 children at work between the ages of 10 to 14 in China? This violates article 32 of the Convention of Rights of The Child, which states, “You have the right to protection from work that h...