Gender and Rights

What is the difference between gender and sex?
• ‘Sex’ refers to the biological differences between males and females.
• Gender describes roles, rights and responsibilities that communities and societies consider appropriate for women/girls and men/boys.
Read posts about gender from VOY contributors.

We often talk about gender as a social construct. That means that gender roles are not a ‘natural’ result of biological differences, but are determined by the systems and cultures in which we live. We are born as males and females, but we learn to become girls and boys, men and women, from our families and societies.
These assumptions are what create gender identities and in turn gender-based discrimination and gender inequality. Gender is a fluid concept and often changes over time, as well as from one culture to another. This means that we can address and contribute to changing these roles by challenging the status quo and seeking social change.
How does gender inequality affect girls?
Gender inequalities can impact many different aspects of girl’s lives. While each country and community is different, we can observe the following global trends:
• Girls are less likely than boys to go to school. • Girls are more likely than boys to be married before the age of 18. • Girls are more likely than boys to become infected with HIV. • Girls are more likely than boys to have experienced sexual violence. • Women hold fewer leadership positions both in politics and in the workplace.

Often we see that girls from minority populations and rural areas are especially affected. Gender roles intersect with discrimination based on age, ethnicity, poverty, belonging to indigenous groups, caste, disability and other factors to create ‘double discrimination’ towards girls. We have to address these factors together to reduce discrimination against girls.

Discrimination heightens in adolescence
The discrimination girls face heightens during adolescence (10-19 years old). When we look at programs that typically target children under 10 years old, such as primary education and immunization, the differences between girls and boys are often quite small. But when girls reach adolescence they face a set of new challenges, such as child-domestic labour, child marriage, reproductive health, and sexual violence. The differences between girls and boys in these areas are much greater. So it is important to continue to address the specific needs of girls also when they reach adolescence.
How can we achieve gender equality?
Governments have made commitments to gender equality through ratifying the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and adopting the Beijing Platform for Action. These international frameworks promote the rights of girls and women and what governments must do towards achieving gender equality.
However, governments also need to make sure that standards and laws that protect the rights of girls and women are enforced. This is not always the case, and we need to continue to advocate with governments to play their part and support girls and women through laws and policies.
It is also important to change existing stereotypes and behaviours among all members of society who do not fully recognize the rights of girls and women. That can be difficult and involves challenging long-standing beliefs and attitudes in a community. But it is only when all girls and women are respected as equals that we can achieve gender equality.
Boys for gender equality
Gender equality can only be achieved by working on both sides of the equation – with girls and women and with boys and men. It is important to make boys aware of the effects of discrimination against girls and include them in developing responses and solutions.

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made t...

Today I speak !

Can you hear me thinking ? Because thinking is human. Can you see me existing ? Because my exist...

Child Workers in Indonesia

According to the International Labor Organisation, Indonesia is currently the 4th most populous country in the world with about 220 million people living there. About 30% of these people are under the age of 17 and about 3.2 million of these children work with some sort of labor. Some of the...

An Angry Black Youth

This video is in honor of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, and all of the B...

"We are the world"...every day.

"We are the world, We are the children, We are the ones who make a brighter day So,let's start...

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...

Am Black and Proud...

Am black and proud am glad to be black no matter d tribes they can never steal my pride...

Reason behind terrorist mentality

If you look ,the reason behind terrorism always related to the religion.No one consider this main...

Child Labor in India

Did you know that India has the largest amount of child laborers in the world? Human Rights Watch states, “More children in India work than anywhere else in the world”. There are 100-150 million children from ages 5 to 14 working, and nearly half of those children (at least 44 million) a...

Child Labor in China

Did you know that according to the China Labour Bulletin, in 2000, there were approximately 11,575,000 children at work between the ages of 10 to 14 in China? This violates article 32 of the Convention of Rights of The Child, which states, “You have the right to protection from work that h...