Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

First World Education

It's the Sunday night before the end of Spring break and all over your twitter feed the tweet "can...

Global Voice for Change Learning Video

Plan International spoke to young people we work with in four countries to explore how they are communicating with each other and what they would like to do if they were able to connect with young people in other countries. The video above summarises what they said. Click here to le...

Words can destroy people

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with depression. I knew I was depressed, but after I was diagnos...

Real Stories of Ebola

"Every day and night, I sit in my family's little home in Monrovia and watch people from my community cry as their family members are taken away by the National Ebola Taskforce to be cremated. They cry that they won't see their family any more, they won't even be able to talk about them...

Forced marriages on the rise in the time of Ebola

Posted by Christiana, Plan youth blogger 21 November 2014: My name is Christiana. I am 17 years...

We will not give up !

A bullet and a gun can end someone's life but death will not make us weak. I was in the hall o...

Restricted Freedom

The first amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America states the right to have freedom of speech and freedom of the press. These two principles are followed strictly in America and other countries with democracy or a democratic republic as a government. Not all countries ha...

Viewing Feminism as He for She

The belief that men and women are equal is the true definition of feminism. In our society, femini...

Stop. Don’t fall. We have a journey to pursue.

I’m not sure whether it’s a request or a simple truth. But I’m sure it’s the only possibil...

Edward Snowden, a hero!?

Sitting in front of your computer, you’re sending messages to your friends on Facebook, tweeting...