Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

L'oranais, an Algerian movie

Most of us like cinema, like seeing movies and watching series. Many of us like actors and there a...

Youth and politics

In this ambitious world of ours where we are living within an ethically composed web, acquiring political literacy is a matter of predominant importance. The true regimen of politics is to shape a proportional and egalitarian society denoting integrity and lawfulness but it seems to be cover...

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers--My Crusade

When you are trying to change the world, and everyone around you says “no”, you are most likel...

Men, Gender Equality is your issue too

It's been over one month since Emma Watson's speech was presented at the UN but I relate to it tim...

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

In this generation it is normal to see young people going out and dating but not so long ago durin...

PRESSURES FACED BY THE YOUTH

Youths take up most of the world’s population and so when there are problems they are the most a...

GENDER BASED VIOLENCE

Why do you think men beat women is it because they want respect or because they just want to? Well...

I Don't Hate Men!

Gender equality is a topic that fascinates me, and something that I believe we should all strive f...

What I learnt this week

Well, there’s something I learnt last Sunday, on 16th November where the second tour of presidential elections in Romania took place. What I learned? That people matter. A lot. These elections have offered a huge surprise to all Romanians: on one hand, we selected a President which is pa...

Empowering Women Through Education

Education is important for everyone, but it is especially significant for girls and women. This is...