Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

BE PEACE: Happy International Day of Peace 2014. ☮

Since it was established in 1981, September 21 is the date dedicated to building up ideals of peac...

International Day Of Peace.

September 21,1981 The United Nations General Assembly declares that on this day world peace is...

Hopes and Dreams

A seven billion voice, a seven billion hope and a seven billion dream. The number is big, the eart...

AN OPEN LETTER TO MR BOMBER MAN

To whom it may concern (with all due respect).... I have heard and read lots of shocking things abo...

Youth issues in the local news

Hi you guys!! A lot of things are going on currently in Chile, such as political and economic...

What do we want as Algerian youth?

Each one of us loves his country. Personally, I have no problem in sacrificing my life for the goo...

Inspiring profile: "Not everyone can do everything but everyone can do...

Hello Everyone! I´m pleased to introduce this inspiring profile, I hope you enjoy it and share yo...

Forgiving Terrorism

I grew up with a war. So did another 6 million Sri Lankan children of my generation. Just like mos...

Bring all the ignited minds around to the same page and channel their energies t...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Womens-Rights/736611809720222

Women's rights and Human rights

All, Please help me to promote my page if you like my posts by sharing and contributing to it. Also please provide your valuable suggestions on how to connect more people , bring the constructive discussion on the topic and engage society for change. Kriti

What has recently marked me as an ambitious individual and as a young...

Bonjour! :) I have been quite busy physically, morally and psychologically with numerous events oc...