Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

He For She: The mission of my life!

It was one of the great days of my life when I had the opportunity to volunteer during the launchi...

Bullying

Bullying is a popular problem in school as well as on social sites. I believe that it starts with...

Part 2 - Support Hashtag Movement

Hello all- I posted about a week ago describing a social media campaign to raise support for a...

Ubuntu...What is it?

It has been a philosophy and a living concept that shaped human relations across hundreds of years, but many people are beginning to question ubuntu...asking, "What is it really? Is it alive today? We hear reflections from the youth on the streets of Cape Town, South Africa.

Youth Assembly at the United Nations: Time to Unite Youth!

Once again, I was honored to join hands together with my young leaders in organizing an incredible...

They bullied us, now we are stronger !

My parents had me after eight years of marriage; I was their first child and you can imagine what...

SHOULD FREEDOM OF PRESS/SPEECH BE ABUSED?

Freedom of Speech or Free Speech as called by many is a basic human right as recognized by the Uni...

Deah/Razon/Yusor Support

Hello- I'm just finishing the Physical Therapy program at Elon University, and would just like to sa...

World Radio Day - Portrait 2

Radio is a very active media, even the poor can afford it. Join Neema Charles Mchachu, a Tanzanian young reporter, and her story about the impact of radio on her life.

World Radio Day - Portrait 1

Higness Daniel is a Tanzanian young reporter who sees radio as a great opportunity for children to share about their feelings and rights in solving their challenges.