Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Between opulence and poverty

Hi everyone!, if you´ve read any of my posts you might already know I live in Chile but I am Colo...

Climate Change: More than an Environmental Problem

I recently decided to ask a couple of my fellow climate ambassadors why they really cared about the fight against climate change. Most answers were because they care about the environment or because they want to conserve the environment or even because it was the right thing to do....

What Does Your Society Teach You About Poverty?

Implicit in most discussions of poverty is the notion that inequality is a given, and this has bee...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/radio-workshop-can-people-change

Can People Change

The Siviwe Youth reporters in Cape town, share their views and personal testimonies on whether or...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...

What is great about my country!

August 24th is Independence Day of Ukraine. There was a concert of one of the most famous bands...

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BscwPeACIAAf3Cq.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/media

I’m Arab-American. My Boyfriend Is Israeli. A Selfie of Us Kissing H...

This is the most beautiful thing i have heard this days.... The girls in the photos tweets:He ca...

A heroine gone too soon

She signed the consent forms and went to the operating room not to save her own life but of someon...

Why are all conflicts similar?

Damped by blood, we have been collecting unpleasant memories of both repulse and victory. People h...