Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Condition of Child Marriage in Nepal

A report entitled ‘Ending Child marriage – progress and prospects’ which was released by UNICEF during the ongoing first ever Girl Summit in London, highlighted that Nepal has the ninth highest prevalence of child marriage in the world with one in every three child brides living in the...

The Plight of Nigeria's Legacy

Legacy as the word sounds and implies, takes its meaning synonymous to ethics and values passed do...

Were are the Latin Americans at AIDS2014?

Today is the last day of the AIDS conference, it has been such a great experience and opportunity that obviously is once in a lifetime. The meeting were great but for the entire week I've been asking: where are the Latin Americans representatives at the conference?. It seems that there a...

Education

It is every child's right to get the best education in the world. But when they are in a classroom, the teachers should always give equal rights to all students without seeing their background whether they are poor or rich, dark or fair, a smart student or a failure student. I think it is in...

Is migration wrong?

Hello guys! I´d like to talk about something that’s been concerning to me very deeply ever sinc...

Social media: A common activity

Using social media is one of the most common activities among today's youth. A recent survey in th...

If I was at the Girl Summit

If I was at the Girl Summit these would be my suggestions: I would suggest that countries who wish to end FGM and Child Marriage that they work in partnership with other countries in offering solutions. For example the battle of child marriage being in some cases, girls are married because...

The OneMinutesJr. video challenge

Calling all budding young filmmakers! What do Child Rights mean to you? Tell us in a 60 sec...

#YouthForChange: Action Statement & Report

Read the #YouthForChange Action Statement and Research Report. Over the past few weeks Voices...

Cracks in the (Political) Glass Ceiling

Last week, a storm of controversy surrounded a sexist statement made by ruling party UMNO’s lega...