Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Social media: A common activity

Using social media is one of the most common activities among today's youth. A recent survey in th...

If I was at the Girl Summit

If I was at the Girl Summit these would be my suggestions: I would suggest that countries who wish to end FGM and Child Marriage that they work in partnership with other countries in offering solutions. For example the battle of child marriage being in some cases, girls are married because...

The OneMinutesJr. video challenge

Calling all budding young filmmakers! What do Child Rights mean to you? Tell us in a 60 sec...

#YouthForChange: Action Statement & Report

Read the #YouthForChange Action Statement and Research Report. Over the past few weeks Voices...

Cracks in the (Political) Glass Ceiling

Last week, a storm of controversy surrounded a sexist statement made by ruling party UMNO’s lega...

THE YOUTH DECIDED THEY NEEDED THEIR OWN LEGAL ENTITY SO THEIR VOICES C...

The youth of the AIMS region (Atlantic, Indian Ocean and Mediterranean and South China Seas) decid...

NO CHILD SHOULD BE IGNORED. SPEAK UP!

Today, There are 1 out of 5 children that are currently being molested, raped, victimized in there very own homes. Many people underestimate Child Abuse but it is a crime. The United States have prompted stricter litigation on child predators and pornography. The question I pose, What rights...

BRINGING BACK OUR GIRLS TO SCHOOL AND SAFETY

In mid-April this year, we woke up to the heart-breaking news that over 200 girls were taken hosta...

Palestine talks to come

Chile has the biggest Palestinian community outside the Arab world and that has been shown all ove...