Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Characteristics of Good Governance

Participation Participation could be either direct or through legitimate intermediate institutions or representatives. Participation needs to be informed and organized. This means freedom of association and expression on the one hand and an organized civil society on the other hand....

Advocacy for the Young

They plead that you may for once; Understand them with honest kindness With futile prejudice...

STOP, not in my name!

You must have heard about the awful news of the execution of the French hostage in Algeria a coupl...

Youth Participation: What We Need

Recently I have had the opportunity to chair 2 or 3 events (in Morocco) which deal with youth and...

What do you want to be in the future? A Career woman or a housewife?

It’s been 4 months since the last time I posted my article on VOY. I’ve been feeling too busy...

Youth voices must be heard in Kurdistan Region

When the current leaders of Kurdistan get older and die… Who will lead? In the 21st century the power that is leading the world is youth's, but in Kurdistan it's Old’s. Whether it is good or bad, is a different story. The first independent Kurdish Government was declared in 1992 an...

http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/iHJbGJ6

New report: how do children see their rights affected by digital media...

DOWNLOAD How do children see their rights affected by digital media and tools? In July and...

What Does Freedom Mean to the Common Man?

Last August, Malaysia celebrated our Independence Day, a mark of freedom for the nation as a whole...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Ha...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/16/were-worth-fighting-for-...

We're worth fighting for: Bring Back Our Girls

Tuesday marked six months since the Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group, Boko Haram, kidnapped 276 Nigerian girls from a boarding school in the northeastern village of Chibok. Three months ago, Boko Haram released a video showing its leader standing in front of armored vehicles mocking the B...