Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

First World Education

It's the Sunday night before the end of Spring break and all over your twitter feed the tweet "can...

Lanan Mafatu

The mountain paths wind away into the rough terrain. In the difficult conditions of the rainy season, we must trek along rocky roads and mud, across flooded rivers and valleys, and up steep hills prone to dangerous mudslides. This may be extreme for me, but for my hardy Timorese friend,...

Globalization: Benefits and Problems

* This article was published by Rocio Amado Torres on the course “Globalization” at the Univ...

The Need for Easy Access to Sanitation

Background The World Health Organization (WHO) defines sanitation as, “the provision of faci...

Youth entrepreneurship represents major engine of African growth

Africa was the birthplace of civilization, but the continent as we know it today is in many ways a...

A FLOODED BUDALANGI

Climate change is one of the most serious threats to sustainable development globally. Budalan...

Who Guide The Guides?

Who guides the body of bodyguards? Who keeps vigilant watch on the vigilantes? Who polices the a...

Addressing the Rights and Protection for Women and Children in the Isr...

Introduction For decades Israel and Palestine has been fighting over Gaza, declaring their “...

Q&A with 16-year-old filmmaker from Albania

Greis Osmani is a 16-year-old girl from Albania, and recently took part in a One Minutes Jr. workshop in her country. She created a thought-provoking video about youth culture, poverty, and how we all fit into that. We asked her a couple of questions about the video: What is your vi...