The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

NO CHILD SHOULD BE IGNORED. SPEAK UP!

Today, There are 1 out of 5 children that are currently being molested, raped, victimized in there very own homes. Many people underestimate Child Abuse but it is a crime. The United States have prompted stricter litigation on child predators and pornography. The question I pose, What rights...

BRINGING BACK OUR GIRLS TO SCHOOL AND SAFETY

In mid-April this year, we woke up to the heart-breaking news that over 200 girls were taken hosta...

Palestine talks to come

Chile has the biggest Palestinian community outside the Arab world and that has been shown all ove...

Humanity misses you Madiba!

Today is the Madiba day; we're celebrating this important day without the person who has inspired...

Empowered communities, collective choices

Every delivery of The Somali mother has been agonizing: the third ended in miscarriage and subsequen...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...

Gender-Based Violence in Europe

As a young woman in Ireland, it is discouraged to stand up against sexist/sexual jokes, even if th...

Don´t be silly

Hello guys! Today there is something very special I want to talk about DON’T BE SILLY! Many thin...

IN THE SPIRIT OF MALALA

Another Malala Day is here. A day set aside not just to celebrate Malala Yousafzai. It is a day fo...

Girl Child

COULD THIS BE TRUE...!! Too much emphasis on the Girl Child makes her more vulnerable to danger.