The Big Picture

On 27 September, (right) UNICEF Advocate for Children Affected by War Ishmael Beah speaks at a panel discussion on the Paris Commitments and Paris Principles on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups. Beside him is UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2036/Susan Markisz

What is violence? 

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else on purpose, not by accident. 

Violence includes: 
  • Threats of violence and acts which could possibly cause harm, as well as those that actually do. The harm involved can be to a person's mind and their general health and well-being, as well as to their body.
  • Deliberate harm people do to themselves, including killing themselves. 

Violence against children exists in every country of the world, whatever the culture, ethnic group or background they are from. It doesn't matter whether their families are well-educated or not, rich or poor. Violence can take place anywhere. 

Violence is often hidden 

Much violence against children is hidden. Often the abuse of children happen behind closed doors and is perpetrated by those the child is supposed to be able to trust - parents, family members and acquaintances. Children often suffer in silence, afraid to speak out for fear of retribution or shame. 

All children are at risk of violence by the very fact that they are children. However, some children - because of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, or school status - are more vulnerable. 

How does violence affect children? 

Violence can have many effects on children, which can still be felt many years later. Effects may include: 
  • Physical health problems, such as changes in the development of the brain, injuries, bruises and fractures. 
  • Difficulties in dealing with other people. learning problems. 
  • Finding it hard to express feelings in a way that other people can understand. 
  • Emotional health problems including anxiety, depression, aggression or even wanting to kill him or herself. 
  • Being more likely to do dangerous things like using drugs or having sex at a very young age.

Inflicting violence on a child, in whatever form, teaches that child that violence is acceptable and so perpetuates the cycle of violence. By preventing violence today, we help build a future where violence will no longer be tolerated.

JUST ONE OLIVE BRANCH

The world we live in today has a lot of resources to offer to everyone. God gave us 24 hours in a...

Symbolism and the Panama Canal

100 years ago, the Panama Canal was opened for business linking two channels of trade for the firs...

What matters to youth in Algeria

Youth are the hope of every country, they represent a major power. If we could use this power for...

The New Era for the Youth

The Philippines' National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal once said, "Ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan."...

We are Offering Ambassadorships to Young People in Conflict-Affected A...

Youth to End Sexual Violence is a network of young people, dedicated to ending the use of rape and...

Praises for a local hero: Benjamin Adekunle

As the world celebrated the International Day of Peace on September 21, I found myself thinking ab...

On September 20th, British Actress Emma Watson stepped into her role as the Good...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/9/21/heforshe-special-event

On Gender Equality and Sexual Violence: HeForShe Special Event co-host...

On September 20th, British Actress Emma Watson stepped into her role as the Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, co-hosting the launch event for their new solidarity movement, the "HeForShe Campaign". Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UN Women, pro...

We are not toys!

Last Monday while one of my friends was travelling by bus, a man in his fifties sat next to her. W...

Source: http://www.snyc.info/messages-of-peace-from-the-youths-of-the-seychelles-ipd14/

MESSAGES OF PEACE FROM YOUTHS OF SEYCHELLES

Sunday 21st September 2014 was International Peace Day. We are grateful in the Seychelles that we live in a country in peace but our heart aches as fellow young people do not enjoy this human right. A right to live in a world free of conflict and war- a world of peace. Please click on th...