5 Ways To Beat Stay At Home Boredom

Studying online

It's been a while since we last went to school and many of us have come to terms with the fact that we'll be confined to our homes and studying online indefinitely. It sadly means no more going out, being with friends, or walking through the laughter and chatter filled school corridors. All of a sudden, our lives and schedules have changed dramatically, but lets be grateful, at least our learning isn't as badly disrupted.

Thanks to the internet, technology and commendable efforts from teachers around the world, we're still in a position to maintain some continuity with our education. However, being stuck at home and doing the same thing over and over again isn't fun.

Most of us are used to being out and engaging in different activities. Not being able to do so is both frustrating and demotivating. So how can we possibly maintain normalcy, zeal and enthusiasm while missing social life? I would say, let's start looking at the brighter side of things!

While the pandemic has undoubtedly pushed us into a corner, it has also taught us to skillfully readjust to turbulence. It has given us an opportunity to explore new paths, and try doing something that we really enjoy but never had the time to do. 

If staying at home and studying online is making life too monotonous and unexciting, here are 5 meaningful activities that you can do to not only build your extracurricular profile but also to bring back some zest into life under isolation. Give it a go!

Start a Blog/Vlog:

Blogs are a great way to express oneself. Whether you want to write about your daily life, share your knowledge, talk about your talents, or raise your voice on an issue that you're particularly passionate about, blogging enables you to write freely, while exercising your creativity and critical thinking. If words don't come to you very easily, but you have great social and communication skills, then vlogging is the most casual and fun thing to do. There is no doubt about the impact of video content these days and if you love making videos, then you never know how it might change the course of your life! Both blogging and vlogging provide incredible opportunities to boost self confidence and enhance brain performance in multiple areas. 

Develop Green Fingers:

In a world where wars, fears and images of violence, make constant headlines, gardening shows a contrasting side. It connects us beautifully with the world and life around us. It not only teaches us about soil and ecosystems but also instills valuable feelings of nurture, patience and compassion for living beings. While studying from home, why not try your hand at growing your own vegetables or re-structuring your garden? No matter how big or small your space, you can start cultivating now, and perhaps create your own gardening journal too!

Create An Art Portfolio:

If you strongly believe that art makes the world a better place, then this is the perfect time to rekindle your creativity and imagination . If you're a talented painter, designer, musician, or performer, start compiling a stellar portfolio. For those of you planning to study arts or related fields in the future, having a great portfolio will put you ahead of the pack during the admissions process. Not only that, art is a wonderful stress reliever and an ideal activity under isolation.

Start Writing A Diary:

If blogging is not your kind of thing, and you like to keep your thoughts and feelings more private, a diary could become your best friend. In these challenging times, put down your every day experiences, frustrations and personal impressions into your diary and build the most intimate connection with it. You will be building memories on paper that you will grow to cherish much later. After all, a 13 year old Anne Frank wrote her diary when living under lock-down in 1942, and her memoir of life in the secret annex has since sold more than 30 million copies.

Build Something:

If there's an architect, an engineer or a product designer in you, why not ignite that urge to build something! There are many things that you can do from the comfort of your home, you just need to look out for some handy tools and materials in your store room. Build a bird box, redesign your wardrobe, make a new storage box, or paint your room, there are plenty of DIY projects that you can take up to stay occupied productively. If you're tech savvy, you can learn how to code, build a robot, or tinker with old, out of use electronic gadgets and appliances at home. 

Remember, being stuck at home does not necessarily mean online classes and zero fun.