Advancing the implementation of the 4th SDG - Quality Education

#4thsdg

Well into the last quarter of 2020, the words “unprecedented times” have become an assertion world over. For many, life has simultaneously been put on hold; riddled by tumult and uncertainty. Our current social, health and economic crisis has affirmed the importance of accelerating responses to a universal call to action outlined by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) to offset key injustices and calamity. Goal 4 highlights the foundational and transformational role that education plays in empowering a generation of future young leaders to address the next set of developmental challenges. Therefore, it is essential that we sustain (and in some cases obtain) quality education to safeguard livelihoods.

In assessment of progress towards the 4th Sustainable Development Goal, the 2019 Report of the Secretary General illustrated that millions of children and young people were still out of school. Submitting an equally displeasing reality, 2020 reports continue to highlight that despite progress, “the world is not on track to meet 2030 education goals”. Preceding insufficiencies have now been compounded by the largest education disruption in history where more than 90% of the world’s student population have been forced out of classrooms. Moving forward, the pandemic continues to highlight the significance of promoting and protecting access to education to encourage individuals to lead successful and productive lives. 

Recommendations

With 2020 marking the start of the Decade of Action to deliver bold commitments, there have been sound policy recommendations; human-centered, innovative and coordinated responses, brilliant initiatives established to remedy both issues of international and national significance. Key examples of contributors have not been bound to Intergovernmental organizations or large corporations, but great change has been leveled at community levels, with local populations spearheading transformations. 

Initially, COVID-19 was alleged to be a ‘great leveler’; an arresting and indiscriminate force. Yet, as the virus’ effects unravel across the world, it is clearer to discern familiar patterns of inequality emerging in many spheres. Currently, remote learning remains out of reach for at least 500 million students. School closures, coupled with technological inadequacies have served to further marginalize individuals globally. As a Kenyan national, I have connected with the extent to which this disruption has accelerated hardship and aggravated socio-economic decline all over the country. For me, this has affirmed the need to develop innovative solutions to sustainably resolve real problems. Specific examples of such action go from executive partnerships with Tech Corporations to propel efforts to secure reliable network operators, delivering electronic resources through schools country-wide, developing resourceful learning strategies, mobilizing free education data for learners, promoting smart-supply chain structures; and upgrading learning environments. 

During lockdown I established an initiative, #ProjectTusome, with the intention of supporting education in Kenya by helping school children access stationary. I am empowered by the life I have lived and education I have received to influence and effect positive change in communities and enrich the lives of youth. Project Tusome is a response to disruption of education, with a focus on standing to empower youth; and at large vulnerable communities. 

With 10 years of the 15 year target to achieve the 4th SDG of quality education elapsed, I hope to set Project Tusome on a path geared towards advancing Goal 4, engaging in as many diverse partnerships to materialize our goals. This is a targeted venture to facilitate access to writing material to empower the youth to walk the path to enable great social mobility. For my first project, I hope to provide stationary to school children, giving them access to much needed items. 

With 2021 in sight, it is essential that we reaffirm and re-charge ourselves to fulfill a bold commitment to actualize goal 4 not only to empower youth but become agents of change by tackling pressing challenges to ensure that no one is left behind.

Kenya