Apprehending Apprehension

A sunset

Anxiety Is nothing to be ashamed of. Why do humans feel we have to hide our panic attacks just for fear of someone making fun of you?

When I feel anxious I hide behind my phone.  If I’m sad I hide under my sheets. Sadness is normal and emotion is inevitable.

When I step outside into the world, one million thoughts of  “what if” fill my head. Suddenly I feel pain in my stomach, which over the years, has gained the name “in the way”

In the way of being able to go to restaurants.  

In the way of being able to sleep over at a friends’ house.

In the way of being able to live life like a normal teenager.

But “in the way” can only be felt by me. It is viewed by society as stubbornness and unwillingness.

It is a wall made of steel surrounding me. A box trying to keep me in. It takes years to conquer but it is not permanent.

Use the negative energy that surrounds your mind when you feel anxiety coming on to turn “in my way” into an “out of my way”.

Because eventually you cannot be contained any longer.  You will find a way out even if it’s through the smallest crack.

I’m still chiselling my way through the wall. But I hope to see sunshine when I make it out, but inside this barrier is rain.

You can look at rain as tears or as something which allows trees to root up from the ground like when Spring comes. Slowly branches will form out to reach the sky filled with many mysteries and wonders. This is life.

So one day I hope to see your tree filled with beautiful blossoms of love and happiness. It doesn’t have to be a perfect picture.  After all, roses wouldn’t be roses without a few thorns.