Breaking the myths about the hymen

https://www.firstpost.com/health/9-myths-about-the-hymen-you-need-to-stop-believing-7775351.html

Telling you guys honestly, it took me a long time to decide whether or not I should write about this subject. I am aware that this is a very sensitive subject in various part of the world but I just feel that I need to talk about it so that women will stop facing injustice and people will no longer believe the myths about hymen. If people didn’t raise their voice against FGM, it would not have ended so I do hope that my post will bring a change in many people lives and after reading this post, you might learn something new.

First off, contrary to what girls are often led to believe, “the hymen is NOT a flat piece of tissue covering the vagina, which is punctured during intercourse. If it were, girls would not be able to menstruate before they lose their virginity because there would be no outlet for menstrual blood,”“Usually, the hymen looks like a fringe of tissue around the vaginal opening. “It is not an intact piece of tissue draped across it. Some girls are born without a hymen, others have only a scanty fringe of tissue, some break while doing physical activity or wearing tampons. The hymen is just a body part.”

Some cultures believed that if questions arose about a young woman's virginity, an examination could determine whether she was or wasn't. An intact hymen demonstrated her virtue while anything else proved she'd already been deflowered. The most surprising part is that shortly after weddings, new husbands were expected to produce bloody sheets to prove they'd married virgins .Yes, this still exists in some places in the world. Throughout history, in cultures that have insisted on female virginity at marriage, the stakes have been very high. No blood on the sheets deeply dishonored the bride's family and might even bring charges of marital fraud. Many brides have taken no chances, they filed a fingernail to a sharp point and on their wedding night, cut themselves on the thigh, producing enough blood to stain the sheets and satisfy tradition--and the mythology surrounding the hymen. If not, they are stoned to death, burnt, whipped, tortured and killed.

Check out this video for an elaborated explanation.The video is a bit funny but no offense;I posted it only for educational purposes.

All that fuss for centuries over a totally wrong idea?! . I’m glad the myth has finally been put to rest. There is no medical or biological definition of virginity.Virginity/hymen as a concept was invented as an attempt to control (female) sexuality.

I wonder why women had/have to go through all these.They had to go through ‘so called hymen tests’ which does not prove anything. It’s so sad to see the way women are treated in our society.If we break all these myths related to hymen,it’s a step towards gender equalityNo woman deserves to go through the hymen test. Never.