Climate change: Facts and not fantasies

boats and a river

When winter is not winter anymore and it is around 30 C° in a supposedly rainy season, you have to know that something hideous is happening to our world.

Conventions have been signed and agreements have been sealed. But the same question remains: When are we going to implement them? The answer to this question is in the hands of those who have the political and social power to change things; and right there lays the twist. And, before talking about it let me first amplify some facts related to climate change.

Working on my Master degree thesis on Translations, I chose to translate forty pages from a research report done by the UNICEF Office of Research, entitled “The Challenges of Climate Change: Children on the front line.” I decided to work on this subject because I wanted to highlight the impact posed by climate change on our environment and on future generations. Moreover, I wanted to highlight this dilemma because here in my country, Tunisia, people are not that interested in climate change. Even though my country is one of the places threatened by it.

After, reading part of this research, I discovered that there is a huge difference between being aware and well aware of something. Before reading the publication, I had an understanding about what climate change is, but after going through the numbers, figures and facts mentioned in the research I accumulated a comprehensive view about the real impact and effects of it. It helped me look more into the details and observe every climatic shift. For instance, here in Tunisia during the three months of winter, it did not rain and the temperatures were high in comparison with previously recorded rates. This lack of rain harmed the crops and as a result, the food prices were higher and in return it affected our daily life needs. Those small details definitely show the dangerous shape of climate change.

The threats from climate change involve food insecurity, diseases, natural disasters and many other problems which will have a great impact on future generations. And the problem is that “…future generations of young children have done nothing whatsoever to contribute to the climate problem they will be forced to suffer through – and that we may be approaching a tipping point beyond which catastrophic impacts are irreversible” as mentioned in the research report. For that reason, we have to act firmly to stop climate change from destroying our lives.

The change cannot happen without really changing our practices and approaches. We have to adopt environmental policies (e.g. embracing the green economy and alternative energy). However, the change in daily practices is nothing without collective interest to make that change. Especially, that political efforts are at the heart of the problem. If politicians are not willing to make changes then things will be harder.

And here is the twist I’ve mentioned before; without us politicians won’t be in power. We are the ones who give them that privilege. Therefore my friends you have to vote wisely. You have to give voice to the person who provides you with a comprehensive strategy that tackles the problems of climate change. Before demanding better employment and economic policies, ask for climate change programs that contain an effective set of solutions. Because, if we do not stop climate change now, there will be no employment, economy, not even a future to discuss.

So, my dear the power is in your hands and you are able to make that change if you know how to choose.

While we are talking now, many environment-related changes are happening. And those changes are harming our earth. If there is a time to act, it is now because it’s a matter of “now or never”.

*************

For those who want to read the research here is the link (it’s for free):

http://www.unicef-irc.org/publications/716