Covid-19 A Student's Perspective

My Brother Learning Through The Zoom Classroom

Let me set the scene for America about 3 months ago. Was our country not taking this situation seriously? The deciding government had not taken any actions yet and cases continued to rise. Fast forward to today? Well, we hear in the news that America has low testing kits, and other important supplies are in need for our health professionals. 

In California, where I stay, Beaches, State Parks, restaurants and all non-essential business are closed. Even sports are cancelled. We could have been more prepared for this situation considering the time we had.  

Now, COVID-19 has had a direct impact on me and my family these past few weeks. We have been stocking up on supplies but have not crossed the threshold of panic buying. I am unsure why so many Americans find the urgency to overtake supplies that they very well do not need. Many elderly are not able to go out and get such supplies and others are taking away that opportunity.

My school district NUSD has been closed till further notice. We are in the last week of Distance Learning. This affected my grades as I have been working really hard towards my classes and was disappointed for the closure. During self-quarantine, is when I realized how important school is and I found out how true the phrase “Be careful what you wish for” is. My Teachers / Counselors have been continuously sending out emails to parents and students to inform them about constantly changing details for the situation regarding our school, and I am really grateful for that fact. It has been quite a roller coaster for school but my 8 year old brother on the other hand has been enjoying his break as he cannot fully grasp what is happening right now.

In California, our governor Mr. Newsom is keeping the shelter in place order for now and easing restrictions through a phase plan. As a student, I support this because it will benefit public health. Our goal was to keep it down and we are doing that but if we open too fast it will spike up once more, and we should not have to experience that. Although I feel for those who cannot work right now and the all small businesses. It is definitely quite unfortunate situation for all.

A bright side to this whole situation is it definitely brings you and your family together or at least what I have experienced personally. I have noticed changes with me and brother and my whole family's attitude toward each other.  Greater appreciation and more empathy are the 2 main traits that have increased during this time. Now, I am able to understand my parent’s daily routine. How their day starts at 7 and going on and off zoom calls and doing chores in the house. The shutdown leaves a lot of time to truly reflect on everything that's going on in our lives which has been a blessing.

To all the readers, please take precautions for your safety. There is a reason why there have been shutdowns and closings etc. Stay safe and healthy. Take this time as an opportunity for ourselves to grow. Read a new book, watch the new show you wanted to, learn how to cook that dish you always wanted to. There is a lot of time on our hands and we can learn from all of this. Let’s just keep all the worries aside and stick together and be kind to one another

Akshaj Mehta

writetolead.com