Freeing your mind

bird flying free from a cage

Often we find ourselves feeling crestfallen, low-spirited, and/or depressed at random times. We can’t always explain why it is we have this feeling but we do. One reason is that we are trapped in our heads. Sometimes your own mind can work against you, but it’s up to you to conquer it.  

Some say that it’s most effective if you express your feelings and not keep things bottled up. The best way for most people to do that is to confide in someone however, not everyone feels like they have someone to talk to. And because of that there are many alternatives such as writing in a journal, writing music, doing something enjoyable, and much more. 

As said before, we are trapped in our heads. We sit all day and let our minds wander, producing more negative thoughts which is not healthy.  We have to realize that we cannot let temporary things affect us permanently. Storms don’t last forever and you cannot heal if you aren’t doing things to actually help you heal. Learn that you cannot control everything, everything is not in your hands. You may not understand why some things are the way that they are, but you have to let it be because things happen for a reason. It may not be to your liking in the moment, but it’ll be worth it in the long run. Sitting all day thinking does not help your situation. Go out, try new things, explore, do anything possible that will prevent you from getting deep in your thoughts.  To reiterate, you cannot heal if you aren’t making an effort to.

Disclaimer: If you or someone you know is feeling especially bad or suicidal, get help by speaking to a trusted adult right away.