Inequalities in the Society

Ocean

There have always been inequalities in the society regarding the topic of gender, or gender treatment. Females are to be staying at home doing chores and raising children; males are to be working outside in order to maintain the family’s living. From ancient times, the characteristics of a “good” female should contain obeying father or husband, well at housekeeping and managing house matters, and can give birth to a male. Nevertheless, the characteristics of a “good” male is based on their position in the society and their wealth. There are inequalities among the expectation of male and female, but what more significant is the equality for people who does not what to follow these expectations, or is not interested in the fields a male or female “must do” in order to be considered as a normal person. 

Regarding the topic of inequalities among the treatment of males and females, females are seen to have less opportunities and resources. In a poor or “traditional” family, females are not welcomed as a child; even the mother may be implicated to receive discriminations. As they grow up, the mistreatment enhanced. Females should give away their educational opportunity and every minor thing in life. They are blamed for everything wrong even if it is not their fault. The mistreatment during childhood can left them with severe psychological wounds and can have a deep influence on rest of their life. Due to the reason of low education degree, they are only accepted to do the hard works or in factories, where men are always promoted first. Again, they face mistreatments such as sexual assaults and violence while holding on to the less wages than man. Furthermore, in family life after they have married, females have to do everything in the house such as chores, raising children, and serve the men. They have to obey the command of her husband and parents-in-law without any unwillingness. If there is a chance of distributing resources in a family for what ever reason or cause, the wife always receives the least, no matter it is through private distribution or legal distribution. 

However, the cause of these mistreatments is usually not the individual thought, or in other words, no one really has the opportunity to choose the influences they might receive from the outside world, or even inside their family. Since from given birth, they receive the ideologies that men are superior than women from the subtle influences such as advertisements, movies, and even games. As the time passes, they gradually adopt this ideology and believe that it is “true”. They did not have the choice to eliminate these influences, or in another way, they cannot because this ideology exists everywhere in the world we live in.