I've learnt that I'm beautiful

a picture of me wearing a floral outfit with one hand on my waist

Growing up I'd see different females with beautiful bodies which made me feel insecure about my own. In society females are praised for their small waists, big hips, long legs, flat bellies and beautiful skin which brings a decline to self esteem and self confidence and the media seems to control you.

I've learnt that there are different bodies and all kinds of bodies are beautiful regardless of the size, type or tone of your body. It is time we start accepting who we are and be proud of who we are because it is not your body that defines who you are but who you are from within.

It is time we embrace it, from the roots of your hair to the tip of your toes is what you call a beautiful human body. Who cares about your chunky belly? You show it because it is your body and it is your duty to embrace it. It is up to ourselves to push each other up and to realise that our body is ours and we should love it with the most beautiful of hearts and normalise female empowerment because what society wants is not what women need.

Take a step up, look at ourselves and realise that we do not need to please anybody either than ourselves and our reflection in the mirror we are standing in front of for that is all we need to be who we really are and not what somebody wants us to be.

Bodies come in all different shapes and sizes. That’s part of what makes each of us unique and beautiful. 

South Africa