Joshua Curiel: "The message is getting through"

Photograph of Joshua Curiel
Joshua Curiel, British climate activist (2020)

In an interview with The Ecologist last week, environmental activist Joshua Curiel commented that "the message is getting though", that something has to change in order to save the planet. 

Copenhagen-born Curiel is the grandson of Roger Westman, an English architect who was an advocate of green architecture. As the interview suggested, Westman's influence certainly rubbed off on his grandson who feels strongly that "architecture and design are key to a sustainable future. Without them, it's not practical".

At only 20, Curiel has already made a name for himself as an up-and-comer to be watched. He has written for some of Britain's largest newspapers on Brexit and the climate crisis and was recently interviewed by Norwegian broadcaster NRK discussing online climate strikes. 

Curiel is one of a group of young environmental activists that are at the forefront of climate action. It definitely feels like it's up to young people like him to tackle the climate crisis. As Curiel said, "it's up to my generation to make up for lost time and find practical solutions for saving the planet."

One of the things that stands out about Curiel is his positivity around the climate crisis. He sees it as an opportunity to change the way in which we live, design exciting new buildings and to do more for those living in the countries that will be worst hit by its effects. 

He points to the UN Environment Programme as a beacon of hope, with "projects that will make a real difference in the long run".

Interviews