Learning about children's rights

Forum Anak Balikpapan photo

Hi, I am Arkana, 13 years old, Student from Indonesia and Vice Chairman of Balikpapan Children Forum for the fulfillment of children’s rights.

At the start of the pandemic, I attended many webinars to fill up my spare time. Until one day, I came across a webinar talking about children rights. This webinar opened my mind about children rights. It’s something we take for granted. We should be able to speak openly about our rights, our entitlements, our concerns that we might have.

During the pandemic, a lot of children couldn't play or interact with their friends. Losing their family members, destroying hope, making them depressed, and disappointed. I was moved to do something for children in my community. I started to try to do something positive, sharing positive vibes & inspiration and also joined a children forum in Balikpapan. As the youngest member, I feel honored to be the vice chairman of fulfillment of children’s rights.

Many children don’t know their rights, even though many countries have ratified The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. This is important for us because children should know their rights, all their rights, and the responsibilities of governments. How the rights are connected, equally influential, and they cannot be taken away from us.

I believe children can actively participate in making sure of the fulfillment of their rights. Therefore, as a child, we all should be a part of making this movement succeed. So that you and I felt included.

Indonesia