Moral Education: Next Step To A Brighter Future

A pyramid describing the outcomes of moral education.

The most important and essential phase of any child’s life is education. Education not only develops child’s physical and social well-being but also grooms psychological and behavioral aspects and most specifically it affects one’s actions.

We all know about how crucial education is, but what about moral education? With the learning of basic sciences, mathematics and languages, the next valuable discipline to learn is “morality” or more comprehensively “moral education”.

The goal of education is not merely to get students literate, get them good scores, and ultimately get them a well-paid job, it has something more to it. Through education in schools, we mold a child to learn discipline and other qualities of a good student.

But now it is the time to extend the domain of education to something more. Let’s teach our children how to make wise choices, let’s teach them familial values, societal values, nature’s value, other creatures’ value and most vital their own value.

The first step to become a moral and responsible citizen of a nation begins with one’s character. Character is not something which can be made overnight, it requires time, patience, sacrifice and so much more. To commence with moral education, it is important to understand what it implies.

Moral education, or morality, is that which is directly and indirectly related to our actions towards others and our society. It calls out on our mental faculties and virtues to determine the consequences of our actions.

By including moral education into our educational institutions and our lifestyle i.e., in our everyday activities like playing games, watching TV, social media, we can add much worth to our world.

Is moral education beneficial only to the learner? No. This education will definitely affect students but it will have a remarkable effect on the future world. Our youth and upcoming generations will be mindful of the consequences and results of their action.

When their moral consciousness will awake they will be nature-oriented and not profit-oriented. They can guide their actions to the direction which could make the world a happier place to walk on. Their concern will not only be with the human community but will also include non-humans such as animals, plants, land, water, and everything present on the Earth.

Our future-makers (those who will create future with their actions) needs us. They want a better place to be on, which should be free from discriminations, climate change, illiteracy, animal suffering and exploitation of nature, and so on.

All this can be possible only when we create responsible citizens by including moral education in our current education institutions. We need to instruct our young ones on learning virtues like respect, compassion, temperance, courage, kindness, discipline, prudence and other virtues, through various activities. We can start the teaching from our homes because parents our child’s first teacher.

Let’s all work on polishing our good traits and making wiser choices for ourselves, for our loved ones, for our nation and for our world.