New Year’s Syndrome

Picture of flashes

As 2022 draws to a close, many of us are reflecting on the past year and contemplating what we could have done better. For many people, this time of the year brings a mixture of sweetness and bitterness, as we are excited to embrace the festive season but also disappointed over all the goals we failed to reach. A new year often brings the promise of embracing a new version of ourselves, so when a year draws to a close and we do not achieve the results that we desired, a new method must be adapted in order to achieve the best results.

The first and arguably most important thing to take into consideration when setting goals for the new year is overestimation of personal abilities. Many people are often over-ambitious when setting goals for the new year, it’s almost as though they are under the impression that a new version of themselves will automatically appear as they enter the new year. The truth is, moving into a new year does not automatically change you as a person. A new year only automatically increases your motivation for a short period of time. Reaching your goals takes patience, consistency, and hard work.

Human beings are creatures of habit, our habits are like a coding system that we follow robotically, without much thought. If you want to achieve your goals then it is important to realize that your biggest obstacles are most likely your bad habits. Sometimes, we may really want to reach a goal but if we do not work to reverse and erase our bad habits, then the chances of reaching our goals become quite slim. Another mistake is trying to handle too many habits at once. You are setting yourself up for failure if you are expecting yourself to get rid of 12 bad habits within the span of one month. It is not realistic to place so much pressure on yourself within the first month of the year. This will cause you to feel overwhelmed, which will trigger feelings of stress and anxiety. In this way, you make it even harder to reach your goals because stress and anxiety are both factors that cause procrastination. The best way to get rid of a bad habit is to take it one day at a time. Bad habits are not built in a day, so you must not expect them to be removed after a day either. It is so important to be patient and consistent when getting rid of a bad habit. Focus on one positive habit each month and work towards instilling it deep within your brain, this makes it easier for the habit to stick with you for longer. If you take this approach, then you could have erased 12 bad habits and instilled 12 or more good habits within the course of one year! 

Consistently working towards building good habits makes it far easier for you to reach your goals and have the best year possible. The best part about starting a new year is the hope of starting on a clean page and having a rush of motivation. You can ensure that you get the best out of your new year by directing your energy into carefully forging habits that will help you reach all your goals and soar high!

Big visions are realized through small steps