O, Miami

On sand, with ocean, in Miami

I haven't always had a lot of friends, just a small group of close friends. As far as my knowledge goes, Americans are really good at making friends. I had an image in my head of a school hallway filled with laughter, where a crowd of boys was talking in a vulgar way about video games and vaping flavors that I don’t know the names of, and girls in a line were walking seemingly inviting and talking about where to go for their nails on Saturday. I was walking alone with a proper somber face like an atypical kid. I was scared, of going to the United States, of leaving the beloved home, of having no new friends.

Fortunately, I didn't want to believe it until I got to Miami. Miami is a newcomer to me with the thought that I knew this is the capital of foreigners. People are all tourists in Miami, just some of whom are tour guides. I wanted to prove that Miami is something else and that cultural differences are minor. We watch the same Netflix series, listen to the same songs of Ariana Grande, and use the same apps of Zuckerberg. We struggle on the same math questions, choose the Japanese class for the same reason, and select the same wrong answers on the quiz.

To be honest, walking alone isn’t embarrassing and abnormal because you will not the only one. So, I am happy to join the group for enjoying undistracted moments. In Miami, we are proud of our diversity. I met Samantha, who is from Venezuela; seeing a spark of interest in Samantha’s eyes, I am so glad that I talked to her. We talked like two old pals that had so much to say, and so much to get out off their chests. Born in Columbia, parents from Argentina, and living in Brazil for years, Sarah had a pair of inviting ocean-blue eyes. When we first talked in Chemistry class, I knew we were genuinely hoping to know each other. The diversity of our school gave me other-worldly inception of my tour in Miami; I felt safe and unreserved.

I knew I shouldn’t believe the stereotype.

Stories
United States of America