Powerful or powerless? A girl's success is inevitable

Joyce Owusu Ayeenimako, a girl from Ghana, advocating for women's rights on International Women's Day 2020

My name is Joyce Owusu Ayeenimako, I'm 17 and I'm from the Volta region, in Ghana. I am in the final year at Sokode Senior High Technical School and I always wanted to defend the rights and liberty of the young ones, especially females. I aspire to be a legal journalist. And I am also optimistic that my success is inevitable!

In my community many people look down upon the girls because of the misconception that girls are only good in the kitchen. This makes me sad.  

As rightly said by the former president of the United States of America, Barack Obama: “Have the ambition and the can do spirit and you can do it.” 

I want to change this misconception by striving to achieve my goals. As the only girl among eight boys in my family, I was determined to attain higher heights no matter the ‘PHDs’- ‘Pull Her Downs’.

It is high time society changes its perceptions about girls. I am a girl and I have abilities. 

The saying is trustworthy that, “when the heart decides, no obstacle can prevent the crossing the Rubicon.” 

I discipline myself towards the target I have set because to me discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments. Having at the back of my mind, the adage of the famous philosopher, which says, “though no one can go back to make a brand-new beginning, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” 

I try to adapt to everywhere I find myself and portray to the world that I can also do something because it is not always where you are but who you are. 

One of the memorable experiences that keeps me on the move is the 62nd Independence Day – 22nd National debate that my school won, and I was adjudged the best debater 2019 on 28th of February 2019. 

I feel that if I can do it, with the help of God, any other girl can do it. My family has been very supportive of me. Families and societies must stop criticizing girls. I do all this to let society know that our dreams as girls have long been shuttered and trampled upon.  

I plan to be the voice of the girls because in this male dominated world that we live in, the voices of the female are never heard. Why the power possessors oppress the powerless, I do not know, but what I believe strongly is that all these will be a history in the shortest possible time.

This is who a girl is.

Families and societies must stop criticizing girls. I do all this to let society know that our dreams as girls have long been shuttered and trampled upon.  I plan to be the voice of the girls because in this male dominated world that we live in, the voices of the female are never heard.
Ghana