Problems faced by youth in today's Poland

zdjęcie

We, the young generation of Poland, still have a long way to go in bettering our lives. The future of Poland and, particularly, its youth is at stake. As our country deals with the indigence that has engulfed its citizens, youth are facing great challenges in various spheres of life. According to World Bank data our country’s general rate of unemployment is 4%, whereas that of youth is at 12% (Meyer 2018, p. 80). Despite the unfortunate rate of youth hiring, there are still high chances of bettering the nation’s situation. It is possible for our country to build a new model of development that will render the existing one obsolete. This article discusses the challenges which Polish youth encounter.

Education has become an important focus for Polish youth, but at the same time a serious disappointment (Koller, MottiStefanidi, Petersen and Verma 2016, p. 49). Despite that over 80% of students in my country acquire education which can lead to higher education, many of my country’s employers fail to give those of my kind a chance to prove their potential. Unlike other European countries in which new graduates are absorbed into the workforce almost as soon as they step out of school, employers in Poland show great disinterest in new graduates. According to Social Europe’s report on Poland’s youth unemployment, less than 23% of Polish companies cooperate with centres for practical training and schools to help in sharpening student’s skills. However, as we all know, no other investment pays better interest than an investment in knowledge (Meyer 2018, p. 88). Intensive investment in education is the only sure way, a country can prepare to attain its future goals, for tomorrow only belongs to those who prepare it today (Kwiek and Szadkowski 2018, p. 168). Considering the significance of education in the development of nations, the Polish government needs to do anything possible to accord its education, great value. Education can only be consequential to people if they are able to see benefits. With little value accorded to education, Poland will always remain in the horrible and deadly danger of considering elites, jokers. Education is not just a mere preparation for life but life itself. It liberates members of every society, and ensures progress in the development of these societies. We, the youth of this country already have the required knowledge, let us use our skills appropriately to develop our country, in case the government responds to our plea.

Poland’s economy grew immensely twice between 1990 and 2013 (Meyer 2018, p. 72). Nevertheless, the wage gap between the rich and the poor also widened. The rise in the wage gap contributed greatly to the expansion of private ownership. Poland may be facing a severe financial trouble, however, it still has the capability of reducing the unemployment rate of its youth to manageable levels. Reduction in the rate of employment is a sign of economic stability, and a reason for Poland to weather in the difficult conditions of global market. As long as the country’s economy stabilizes, employers will have every reason to higher people with the right skills, unlike now when it appears that employees are picked haphazardly.

Youth in Poland also face a lot of challenges in their quest to access financial resources (Meyer 2018, p. 76). The majority of financial institutions in my country shy away from lending youth money because of their inability to pay for the high costs of transaction, lack of financial documentation and the difficulty in managing their risks profile. Youth are special component of Poland’s development and its realization of its 2030 agenda. In contemporary society, no engagement can excel without financial empowerment. So far, many young people have been neglected and only operate at the peripheries of all major decision making processes. Our youths wish is not only to grasp employment opportunities but also to be part of all development programs (Kwiek and Szadkowski 2018, p. 181).  As long as the government remains quiet on the need to create necessary avenues for enabling youth to access finances, this group of young energetic men and women will remain disillusioned. We, young people, have the future of Poland in the palm of our hands. Never should we allow others to deprive us of a chance to use our skills and contribute in every way possible to the holistic development and well-being of our country. We are the drivers of change capable of steering the developmental processes into the future. Since the Polish government has acknowledged the demographic transformation its country is facing, it is possible for youth to be rewarded with more avenues for airing their views. The future of youth lie on the fundamental reforms meant to transform Poland.

The government’s acknowledgement of the generational change is a very good reason for youth like me to be optimistic about a better future for Poland. My country is facing an inevitable challenge, a situation that most nations around the globe can easily be involved. I am saddened that most global agencies only focus on my country’s failures in curbing the menace, than strategize mechanisms in which the steadily worsening situation can be curbed. In order to end the problems in Poland and Europe which has raised concern abroad, the country’s government needs to investigate the high causes of unemployment. The knowledge of the genesis of this difficulty will be significant, as a starting point in finding its solution. Besides, the government should also use European programmes in expanding its assistance to low income households. By empowering families, the government can also elevate youth, preparing them for a competitive, but better future.

Reference List

Koller, S.H., MottiStefanidi, F., Petersen, A.C. and Verma, S., 2016. ACHIEVING POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT FOR YOUTH GLOBALLY. Positive youth development in global contexts of social and economic change. pp. 47-65.

Kwiek, M. and Szadkowski, K., 2018. Higher education systems and institutions, Poland. Encyclopedia of international higher education systems and institutions. pp.167-189.

Meyer, D.F., 2018. Predictors of good governance and effective government management: the case of Poland. Polish Journal of Management Studies. PP. 78-91.

Poland