Run for it!

Track & Field

Most people view being a student athlete as a full-time job. But it’s not, it’s worse. Being a student athlete is like having two full-time jobs and two part-time jobs. There is way more behind being a student athlete than just having an extracurricular activity after school.  Being a student athlete teaches you determination and responsibility something that most classrooms can’t teach you.

I believe that student athletes have more pressure on them than ordinary students. They have to balance their school work and the commitment that they put in the sport. I know all of this from personal experience. I’ve been a student athlete since I was in the 3rd grade, but I didn’t know what it really was until I was in high school. 

Don’t get me wrong, being a student athlete is fun and all, but it comes with sacrifice. I’ve had to miss out on family events because of practices and games. But I say to myself that all my hard work will pay off in the end. Being a student athlete consist of school, practice, eat, and sleep. You do this to the point that you feel like your life is on repeat.

Another thing that you might have to sacrifice as a student athlete is your sleep. After you get home from practice you might have chores or other responsibilities at home. You might be wondering when do we have time to do our homework. Well that’s where the sacrifice of your sleep comes in. You might stay up past midnight doing homework or even longer because of those teachers that give us a ton of homework like we don’t have 8 classes. But at the end of the day it all pays off. You can get past it because I have. I’ve survived: not eating breakfast or lunch, 8 hours of school, 3 1/2 hours of track practice, eat dinner, do homework and 2 hours of sleep. Then repeat.

Ordinary students get to sleep in on the weekends. Not student athletes. We have early morning practices and games on the weekends. But again it will all pay off in the end. It’s a matter of being able to balance school and sports equally and not focusing on one more than the other. The good outweighs the bad when it comes to extracurricular activities because like I said previous it all pays off in the end. You just have to be determined.