Small level awareness can bring big changes.

Shanti Stupa, Ladakh, India

“The Ladakh region is a natural carbon sink and making it carbon neutral paves the way for many other regions in India to embark on this carbon neutrality journey. It will be now interesting to see how this announcement is operationalized and replicated in other parts of the country. It will also be intriguing to see how large businesses will respond to this call”: Narendra Damodardas Modi (Honorable Prime Minister of India).

Even though there is no well-settled goal of becoming a carbon-neutral country in India but Ladakh is becoming one of the cleanest regions in South Asia with a carbon-neutral environment. Ladakh has so many reasons to be Carbon neutral.

Ladakh is a hilly region based on the plateau of the Tibetian region that falls in India. Earlier Ladakh was a part of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir but now it is a Union Territory of India. Ladakh is known for its beautiful lakes, hills, and Buddist culture. Now there's something else also that's making Ladakh famous and that's the Carbon neutralization.

How Buddhism values are helping in making Ladakh clean??

Buddhism's advantages to nature protection throughout the faith's history may well be delineated as effective, in an exceedingly mostly passive role. Recently and progressively, however, potent Buddhists area unit speaking out on the topic and serving to bring forth recognition of the active, even dynamic role the philosophy might play in conservation. "Buddhism is therefore on the brink of nature that the faith deserves to be known as a 'religion of nature.'.

The link between Buddhism and nature stems from Buddha's life and teachings. Siddhartha spent all of the most important events of his life amid the natural forest and also the tree became the foremost sacred image throughout the Buddhist world - the Bodhi tree. 

The Buddha aforesaid, "there isn't any spot on the bottom wherever men had not died and so each a part of nature are going to be blessed with a spirit, these are going to be the spirits of the trees, the mountains and also the water". In Buddhist literature, nature was ne'er treated as one thing 'outside' the human realm however rather as an associate extension of human love. These concepts area unit connected to the angle of respect for nature amongst the Buddhist community.

Today several Ladakh monks are creating a trial to revitalize the Hindu deity. They feel Hindu deity provides values essential to independence and to nature conservation. Buddhist social science refrains from greed and therefore the need to be wealthy and is happy with meeting basic wants. 'Buddha Kaset' or Buddhist agriculture means that to use Buddha Hindu deity to the way of life of the farmers the maximum amount as doable, to observe agriculture in a very Buddhist means.

How did awareness help Ladakhis to make Ladakh clean? 

Anthropologist state capital Norbert-Hodge mobilized native stakeholders, national government offices, and particularly varied international engineers to generalize the utilization of renewable energy resources in Ladakh. additionally, she supported the Women’s Alliance of Ladakh (WAL) that self-addressed the question of development by ladies. The association has an especially powerful network of native sections in a hundred villages, enumerating over 6000 women. The WAL carries out environmental awareness programs that have succeeded in forbidding the utilization of plastic baggage in Ladakh and, additionally particularly, it supports Ladakhi agriculture through the promoting of native produce by connexion the international Slowfood movement for the defense of agricultural and gastronomical diversity.

The role of the Indian Government.

The government of India understood the potential of Ladakh in terms of tourism and renewable energy and now the government of India is all set to invest in the region of Ladakh to make it carbon neutral.

Nubra Valley
Lamayuru Monastery
Pangong Tso Lake
Zanskar Valley
Beautiful Ladakh
"If you'll take care of Nature - Nature will take care of you.
If you'll forget Nature - Nature will forget you too"