Stop Sexual Harassment

Equality illustration

Hello there,

I'm Raina. First off, as we all know, there's a pandemic that we are facing now. It is so difficult. I want you all to always be safe. Self quarantining and self distancing are the things that we should do at the moment. Don't go out too often. Always keep your body fit and health by consuming a healthy food. Also, please remember to always wash your hands. It's so important.

Alright so, in this entry blog I want to talk about the issues that really matter to me. I want to raise my voice up. And, one of the issues is "Stop Sexual Harassment". 

I am really concerned with this one. Honestly, I am tired and sick of seeing cases that often happen to women. And, one of the cases that often affecting women is sexual harassment. I just don't understand why people want to do a vile thing by harassing women. Women don't deserve this at all. We're not a doll that can be used as you wish. We have dignity. And another thing that I often see is people always shaming women.

There are still so many people who always call us with the *b* word, *s* word, and other bad words which are not appropriate to be spoken. But, however, they still can call us with those kind of words easily and even without any hard feelings.

"I just wanted to speak out about something that really matters to me."

A big scar in my memory

To all the victims of sexual harassment, I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. And now, I'd like to tell you something about my experience related to this issue.

So, around a year ago, I went to a supermarket to buy some groceries. Then, while I was waiting for my parents to pick me up, somehow a guy walked behind me and I felt like he grabbed my butt. I felt it. When I turned around he's walking away and left. It happened so quickly but it left me a big scar in my memory. I felt harassed. This is not right.

I want to tell the whole world that it shouldn't have happened to women. Why women always get this bad action? And when he harassed me, I didn't scream because people wouldn't trust me in the first place. But now, I know that I should've screamed tho! No matter people will trust me or not, but still I have to speak out about the right thing. So, I really know how all the victims of sexual harassment feel.

Guys, please don't blame the victims. We should trust them and protect them so that they will feel protected. Because, all they need is a protection not a judgment. 

We also shouldn't wait till 10 seconds or even 10 years to report the sexual harassment case.

4 Things you can do to stop sexual harassment

I can't stand of seeing this thing still happening. So guys, I want to tell you about the things that you can do to stop sexual harassment. Well, here we go :

1. If you see someone being harassed, don't be silent. But, call the harasser out and tell him to stop his action. 
2. Speak out. Or if you can, make a campaign about stopping sexual harassment.
3. If you hear people excuse sexism by saying, "boys will be boys then, and girls will be girls" just call it out. 
4. Don't be afraid to raise you voice because your voice matters, really.

Actually, there's so much you can do to stop sexual harassment. We have to treat others well if you wanna be treated well too.

Another thing that I want to talk about is "Gender Stereotypes". We may have heard this, "Girls shouldn't have a high education because they will end up being a mother and take care of their kids at home. And, their office is in the kitchen." 

I have heard this. I think from now on, we have to change the way we think. Everyone should have a high education. Because education is important and everyone can get it. It's not an excuse to say that just because of the sexes.

These days, sometimes we think that we can't do something because there are some barriers that holding us back. So now, those barriers should be disappeared. And, how to realize that? Well, it all starts FROM US.

We can do just a little thing to bust gender stereotypes. For instance, remember that chores have no gender. Maybe, your family often assign tasks in a very old-fashioned way without even realizing it. For girls, they're the one who take care of domestic things like washing dishes, cooking, setting table while for boys, they do more physical tasks like mowing the lawn or climbing ladders.

But actually, cooking isn't only for girls. But, men as well. And so does washing dishes. Hopefully, we can more understand about the challenge that we're having now.

I think that's all for now. I wish I could talk more about it. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Have a great day, and be safe ✨.

Love, R ♀️♂️

Indonesia