Voiceless

A woman with her mouth covered with adhesive tape and an expression of terror.

Today I woke up voiceless because of a laryngopharyngitis, and I started thinking about those who really do not have a voice. Those who can speak, but are not heard or are too afraid to raise their voice to claim their rights. I started thinking about those who live terrified by an oppressive social and political system. I started thinking about those who are born in an environment that does not even recognize their right to freedom of expression, political participation or access to education. I started thinking about women, children and animals. I think of them because these groups have been considered "inferior", so inferior, that it was thought they had no intelligence or were not able to recognize their needs. So much so, that women and children were not considered human. And animals were, and still are, considered furniture in some places.

Maybe I can’t talk today, but I can write, and that is also raising my voice. When I think about the realities that others live in different parts of the world, I believe that expressing oneself is not only a right, it is also a privilege, until every person can express themselves freely. And I think it is our duty to speak for those who can’t, for those whose voices have been silenced.

"We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back." - Malala Yousafzai
Chile