What are you doing with your life?

Everything will be fine on a pink billboard

Well, to answer that question, it's 11:30 pm and I have an exam tomorrow. And even though I wrote the title, just typing it brought chills to my body. But my goal with this little corner of mine is to clear up the misconceptions. To help those who just like me, who are still little pot plants waiting to bloom into big oak trees.

Hi, I’m Kamogelo and I am a compulsive planner (hi Kamogelo), and it's probably my most toxic and self-destructive trait. But only because I don’t use it for the right reasons or “correctly”, for lack of a better word. I have made pages on pages, documents on documents of 5-year plans. But that’s not a bad thing, right? Well, did I also say that I’m 17? 

It seems like every week that YouTubers get new houses or new cars, and many of them are almost the same age as me, which, if I’m being honest, makes me feel like I’m a little behind with life, and by a little, I mean millions of dollars behind. But here’s some motivation for those who are like me sometimes. The overthinkers, the compulsive planners. Those who feel like they’re in a race that they’re losing.

The path that you take should not be determined by those around you. So when you ask yourself what you’re doing with your life, the answer should not be what she’s doing. In fact, I think it’s healthy to get to a point where you don’t even think of other people when writing down your goals. Whatever you do should be done for yourself. We often are exposed to highlight reels. But Ava Duverney and Spike Lee don’t get their shots after just one take. So why do we expect our lives to be perfect one-take wonders?

We aren’t all looking for the same thing. We aren’t all following the same paths. Imagine it like this, 7.7 billion highways all leading to let's say 5 main destinations (which some may not apply to you). Happiness, career, family and marriage, travelling and money. But my highway and yours (hi to you) don’t have the same stops along the way. Mine has a Popeyes and yours has a KFC and between those stops, there are different distances we travel without potholes. 

Ultimately, despite all that is in the way, we will all reach our destinations. I am a firm believer in what is yours will never cross you. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t work to what we want. It means if it does happen that what you want at the time isn’t there immediately, doesn’t mean that it won’t be there after that barrier in the road. 

Keep driving down your highway. Sometimes your car breaks down, sometimes you come to a stop for a little bit, and just because you see me cruising past you on my highway, it doesn’t mean that I haven’t had hiccups along the way. It means I stopped, held my breath for a second and let go until they were gone.

There are going to be barriers, there are going to be some days or some things that don’t go to plan and that's okay. Whatever you do, don’t stop driving.

and she became her own
biggest fan.
she sat in the front row
and cheered herself on
/even when the rest of the show
didn't pitch up/
-- Kamogelo.
South Africa