What The Half-Blood Prince Taught Us

The Half-Blood Prince, a.k.a., Severus Snape.

To all the Potterheads out there, this is a special article which will tell you what the Half-Blood Prince, a character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series, taught us, and how he left a mark on our lives.

Firstly, Professor Severus Snape taught us that life isn't fair. He taught us that in life, we may hope for something to happen, but it may not happen the way we want it. And so, we must not make a big deal about how life is not being fair and we must just accept that everything happens for a reason.

Secondly, Snape taught us that in order to get better results in anything we do, we all must learn to “control our emotions and discipline our minds”. This is because, one, emotions sometimes drive us all crazy and we divert from our target, and two, in order to be in a sound condition, we all must learn how to keep our minds in a disciplined state.

Thirdly, the Half-Blood Prince taught us that the mind is where it all resides. There is no doubt that Snape was a wise man, and so, he taught us that the mind is a place where we all keep our deepest, darkest secrets, and we must protect the treasure which we have in our body - our mind.

Most importantly, Snape taught us that we, as humans, are not perfect. We all know that Snape himself was not a perfect man. He lost the love of his life, Lily, forever because of his own ideologies, he harassed the students he didn't like (Harry, for instance) and let his bitterness stop him from reaching his true potential as a teacher.

But there's no doubt that even though Snape wasn't “the good man”, he was still imperfectly perfect.

The Professor of the Defence against the Dark Arts also taught us that loyalty means everything, and that is what matters the most. Snape was loyal to Lily, Harry, and Albus Dumbledore, which ensured the end of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

In the end, Snape taught us the most significant truth that we can love people without them loving us back. As we know that Snape was in love with Lily, but she chose James over Snape, which broke him to the core. But this didn't make Snape “unlove” Lily. In fact, his love grew stronger when his only motive was to protect his love's son, i.e. Lily's son, Harry from the Dark Lord.

In the end, it would be right to say that the Half-Blood Prince taught us some real lessons, which we could not have learned from the real world. And well, we all must have someone like Severus Snape in our lives, who could be there for us and protect us from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.