A Woman is More Than Just a Glitter

Hafsat Abiola

A woman is more than just a glitter

Women are regarded as "weak" and "fragile" in our society, they are frequently stigmatized as being incapable of doing anything other than cooking, laundry, and other household chores. As a result, no one believed that someone as frail as them could effect change, lead a nation, keep up with men, or even stand alongside them.

Women's empowerment can be defined as promoting women's self-esteem, ability to make their own decisions, and right to influence social change for themselves and others. Advocating for women's empowerment is often misconstrued as shaming men in order to assert women's rights. No, this is not the case. The empowerment of women is a critical component of achieving gender equality. It entails increasing a woman's self-esteem, decision-making power, access to opportunities and resources, power and control over her own life both inside and outside the home, and ability to effect change.

The only difference between women's empowerment and gender equality is that women's empowerment focuses on women, whereas gender equality aims to provide equal opportunities to both men and women, as well as to break down the stigma and barriers erected by our society, so that both genders can live freely. On the same note, let's help break the stigma and all the misconceptions saying that women can't lead or start a change, as a woman, I say we prove them wrong. As a matter of fact, many women around the world have been leading their society towards a good change, and I say we must be one of them.

No matter where you are, what color your skin is, or what culture you come from, you are a woman, and a woman will not let something like this ruin her determination to start a change or to prove something. Even if you are still a child, you can make a difference in your country's fight for women's rights. Social media has evolved into an excellent platform for advocacy and information dissemination. If we all fight for equality, there will undoubtedly come a time when we can all live together in harmony, despite our differences.

Through this platform: Voices of Youth,  we can all demonstrate that a woman is more than just glitter, make-up, and lipstick, and that she is more than just a woman. All we have to do is keep fighting for our rights and equality and never give up because the last man standing will always be a woman.

Philippines