You May Say I'm A Dreamer

Clouds with the sun behind them

When John Lennon said he was not the only dreamer who imagined a world of unity and peace, I believed him. The planet must be full of people who dream of such a world where we do not let any religion or country keep us from living as one, but, with every act of violence, every hate crime, every incident where someone behaves in the most inhuman manner, we are all losing hope. 

How a person could discriminate against another based on their gender, color, religion or any other such grounds that make them who they are, is beyond my comprehension. There is a reason why there is a diversity among all the species, and it most certainly is not to treat them differently, or oppress them.

What makes the human race unique, interesting, and beautiful, is the diversity of cultures and traditions, the food, the clothing style, the art, the literature, the language; and the most surprising thing is that it is humans themselves who have, for centuries, destroyed what makes them unique. We have no one but humans to blame for the disturbing history of so many countries, races, communities, and religions that will haunt us forever if we do not do our parts to amend the wrongs done, and be better human beings. 

We have always chosen power over love, dominance over harmony, and cruelty over kindness. And of course, we have reaped the tragedies of the mistakes we sowed, but seldom have we learned from those mistakes; or maybe we have not, or else, we would not still be fighting for basic human rights for all.  

Lennon was indeed a dreamer, and it would not be wrong to say that he turned many of us into dreamers, like him. If we can imagine a world where one and all live as one, we can also work towards making that world a reality. Every steps counts, every act of kindness counts, and every time a person stands up for someone who cannot stand up for themselves, it counts.

We have got to change ourselves, so that we can change those around us, and then we all can together change the world for the better. 

India