Education

Fighters for Education: a Youth Project

All children have the right to go to school and learn, regardless of who they are, where they live or how much money their family has.

As COVID-19 continues to disrupt education systems worldwide, digital learning should become an essential service. This means connecting every child and young person – some 3.5 billion by 2030 – to world-class digital solutions that offer personalized learning to leapfrog to a brighter future.

As part of our 2021 Youth Mediathon, Olivina Maskan, Esterina Ukaj, Vika Kravets, Nohelia Estefania Rivas Pincay, Truth Egbe, Gloria Karenth Tirza, Cristina Pop, Alexandra Gordon-Gibson and Anggraini Indah Alodia Marzuki created a series of videos to talk about the importance of access to education for children and young people across the world. 

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Meet the team

Olivina Maskan, 18, Indonesia

"I have had five years of experience in youth activism as an educational content creator and author. By utilizing my skills in scriptwriting, filming, and editing, I have created hundreds of research-based videos about study tips, social issues, and environmental issues."

Esterina Ukaj, 21, Albania

"The main issue that I am passionate about, that simultaneously includes many aspects of issues that children face, is unequal access to opportunities. There are many ways to tackle this issue and find solutions."

Viktoria Kravets, 21, Ukraine

"People often say: 'She is much more active than one can expect from her age'. And I ask myself: is activism measured by age? Do you have to be at least 18 years old to launch a project, a start-up or a blog? I've met a lot of teenagers who were not stopped by the words of adults. And they have achieved more than most of them."

Nohelia Estefania Rivas Pincay, 20, Ecuador

"Youth participation is a problem that interests me a lot and I believe that all people should do something to end adultcentrism and discrimination. I believe that to achieve justice, equality and liberation, we must combat and dismantle the patriarchal and adult-centered power systems that continue to oppress and exclude many of us."

Truth Osumareton Egbe, 24, Nigeria

"I am a content creator and youth activist with over 5 years of experience influencing social change using new media.
With my keen interest in the sustained development of gender equality, quality education and social justice and by utilizing my skills in scriptwriting, video editing and content creation, I have contributed to campaigns such as The Lara and Friends COVID-19 animation with UNICEF Nigeria, #SheLeadsClimateAction with Girl Up Nigeria and The Mobile Productivity Tour with Learn with Osumareton reaching over a million children and young people in Africa."

Gloria Karenth Tirza, 19, Indonesia

"In my city education for children is still very low. There are various reason why they don't go to school. Most women still think that education is not necessary for them. The access to go to some school is also still difficult. I grew up with very little information about what is happening in my surroundings and society because of lack of books and access to any education platforms. Creating content on my YouTube channel is one of the first steps for me to help others and achieve my goals."

Cristina Pop, 16, Romania

"I've been advocating for children's rights throughout my high school experience and I have taken part in numerous activities and workshops raising awareness of highly crucial topics, such as mental health, social inclusion, bullying and educational matters. I have developed fundamental skills involving public speaking and active listening, which have later helped me in both my personal and professional life."

Alexandra Gordon-Gibson, 21, Scotland

"A children’s rights topic that has always inspired me to speak up is a child’s right to education. I realized at a young age that many of us are in positions of privilege that others could not even wish for and I spent a long time trying to understand the reasons as to why we are all born with different opportunities."

Anggraini Indah Alodia Marzuki, 16, Indonesia

"Why do I love Education? Because youth hold a crucial role in sustaining the future and education is one of the main aspects that can grow the quality of humanity. My goal is to educate my friends and spread awareness about many things. I love sharing educational posts and videos because I believe that educating people means educating myself."

Topic