Education

Self-learners corner: reimagining the future of education

Every child has the right to go to school and learn in classrooms or at home, online and offline – wherever they are. The COVID-19 pandemic taught us about the importance of expanding digital learning and developing new skills for the future of learning, like taking the initiative in diagnosing learning needs, formulating goals, identifying resources, and evaluating learning outcomes. 

As part of UNICEF's Youth Mediathon, a group of young content creators from Indonesia, Russia and Ethiopia developed this video about the importance of being a self-learner in this digital era. 

In their #SelfLearnersCorner, Olivina Maskan, Daria Vorobeva, Kenyo Sukma, Rindana Meidianti and Nhial Deng share with you the 5 skills they believe you need in order to be an effective self-learner:

1. Being a resourceful self learner

2. Differing good sources from false information and how to fact-check

3. Taking care of your mental health and well being

4. Identifying ways to learn together 

5. Enhancing inclusion and being safe in your learning environment

LEARN NEW CONTENT CREATION SKILLS AND SHARE YOUR IDEAS WITH US

In the wake of COVID-19, young people -just like you-  are feeling like they’re no longer in control of their futures. It is normal to be uncertain about your next steps in life. 

But what if you could tell leaders what you wanted to see change, and help other young people understand and take action? That’s what the UNICEF Youth Mediathon is all about – to help young content creators like you reimagine a better world for every child!

Watch our masterclasses, learn with top creators and storytelling professionals, and submit your own content here.

Youth Mediathon gifs

ABOUT THIS GROUP

Olivina Maskan is a 17-year-old activist and content-creator from Indonesia whose purpose in life is to contribute as much as possible in progressing the world’s quality of education, stopping climate change, and supporting social equality by utilizing the power of social media channels like Instagram and YouTube.

"I am driven to invent solutions that could help youth build strong identities, develop themselves, and plan their futures."

Daria Vorobeva is a 21-year-old journalist from Russia passionate about social problems connected with education, representation in media, discrimination towards the LGBTQ+ community, women and minorities.

"I made a documentary about education in musical theatre sphere in Russia, as well as helped a private boarding school Letovo with entrance exams and organization of the educational process."

Kenyo Sukma is a 17-year-old writer and poet from Indonesia passionate about women's and children's rights to education, healthcare and safety.

"I want to have a real impact in society by joining young people all over the world."

Rindana Meidianti is a 23-year-old from Indonesia who loves creating visual digital content such as pictures, stories, posters, and comic strips, which she shares on her Instagram account.

"I have special interest on issues regarding language education, self-development, and body positivity."

Nhial Deng is 21 years old, born and raised in Western Ethiopia and passionate about using the power of communication and storytelling to change how people think about refugees, stimulate understandings, and create a sense of urgency that will drive people to action.

"I'm driven by a desire to do good for my community. My work focuses on tackling local challenges and generating solutions that align with the Sustainable Development Goals. As a child, I always wanted to be a journalist. My father used to own a small radio and he would listen to the BBC news every morning. This was the only radio in our village and was also our alarm every morning. I was very much inspired by how one voice can help amplify the voices of thousands who might otherwise be voiceless."

Topic