Consolidating Your Advocacy Ideas

Youth activists develop an advocacy plan during a workshop
Kherann Yao, Mory Diamonde and Cheick Diallo, put together an advocacy plan during a workshop in Côte d’Ivoire

While preparing for your advocacy journey, you will have gathered a lot of information and you need to start consolidating it. One of the best ways to do this is by writing down the information – you will need this information throughout your advocacy process in different forms.

Consolidate the information into the following topics:

• Main problem or concern: a brief overview of the main problem, what the impact of this is and why it is important.
  • Background and political context: an overview of the factors leading to this situation and important considerations about the social environment you are working in.
  • Possible solutions: an overview of what could be done to address the situation.
  • Possible allies and youth platforms to support your issue: a list of other young people and organisations you can collaborate with or learn from.
  • Key activities: what you think will be needed to achieve your goal, including the main actors who need to be involved.
At this stage, don’t worry too much about what the writing looks like. The most important thing is to consolidate your ideas and to make sure you have a fairly good written overview of these main components. 

After consolidating your findings and writing down your thoughts, you can start developing your advocacy plan

Interested in doing advocacy? Read more about how you can champion change through advocacy here! And make sure to check out our full Youth Advocacy Guide.

Topic