Fighting Fake News: 5 Questions To Ensure Credibility

A young delegate in Uganda poses for a photo
Joyce Nakiya, a youth delegate from the Karamoja region at the Youth Launch held in support of the African Youth Forum, in Entebbe, Uganda.

The internet is a great tool for doing research BUT it’s important to ensure the credibility of the information.

Pay specific attention to what sites you are visiting and make sure you are using official websites, reputable news agencies, or good academic journals. The strength of your understanding will come from the strength of your information, so make sure you are using reliable, accurate sources.

A reliable or credible source is one that is unbiased and backed up by evidence. It can be difficult to determine whether something is credible or not, especially on the internet, so here are some things to look for:

Who?

Who published the information? You should look for authors with a respected reputation who would be writing from an unbiased view.

What?

What is the main idea of the piece and are the claims backed up with evidence? Look for pieces with supporting information and a list of verifiable resources.

Where?

Where did you find the information? Examine the source of your information and make sure it is reliable. If using a website, look for official sites such as .gov, .ac or .edu.

When?

When was the information written? Make sure your information is still relevant, or if it is an older piece, provides some historical context.

Why?

What was the reason behind publishing this piece? Try to identify the agenda or objective behind the piece and make sure it is not biased. 

Make sure to use these tips while doing your advocacy research!

Interested in doing advocacy? Read more about how you can champion change through advocacy here! And make sure to check out our full Youth Advocacy Guide.

Topic