A healthy planet for every child is a dream worth fighting for

Yana stands with trash cans for different waste materials.

My name is Yana, I am 16, and I live in the small town of Dobropillia in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine.

I have always been believed that the ecosystem of my city needs a brand-new solution.

You could ask: “What can a teenager do alone?” 

Young people are capable of anything, for the sake of the future of their nearest and dearest, I will answer you with confidence.

Yana demonstrates the EcoBoom project

Everyone has the right to a healthy environment and for this, it is worth taking care of ourselves. Yes, yes, yes – it is about taking care and respecting ourselves!

If everyone thinks about their tomorrow, buys food packed in something other than plastic, sorts their garbage and appreciates living here and now, it will help address the problem of climate change and global warming.

The paradox of today is that people have to save the planet from themselves. And it is really scary and alarming.

The paradox of today is that people have to save the planet from themselves. And it is really scary and alarming. BUT I have a dream about our environment getting better.

My dream is about adults teaching their children to appreciate our planet. And it is about young people using all the information and knowledge that they have to take care of the earth. It is about children and adults working hand-in-hand.

My dream is worth fighting for.

I am grateful to our mentor Olena Istomina for her patience and perseverance in the project. She is the person who has helped organize everything, and in no small way, we owe our accomplishments to her.

Yana's project is a part of the "Young Energy of Community" initiative. This is a small grants project funded by UNICEF and the European Union to support the civic engagement of youth in Eastern Ukraine. Yana's project is one out of 56 youth projects funded through "Young Energy of Communities" in 2018-2019. 

Ukraine