Free The Children

Labour

Child labor is one of the problems in the world that many of us don't see, but know that it's there. There is child labor occurring in many parts of the world and in other countries where we are not there to physically see it. Not seeing, doesn't mean we should just forget about that problem, but instead, we should spread awareness. Child labor is when children are either forced to work or have the need to work in order to help meet ends meet for their families or to make sure that they themselves survive. 

Like I said before, even if you don’t see child labor happening around you, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. There are lots of children in poor industrialized places where they are working on the streets. You can see them selling items in traffic or in markets. It’s not fair that these children, instead of worrying about their education or having fun playing with their friends, have to worry about how much money they need to make or how much they need to earn. Young adults like ourselves know how difficult it is to work and how hard or stressful it could be at times to work, and now imagine how children feel. It’s not supposed to be this way. Children should not have to feel the hardships of working at such a young age. It’s not fair for them.

I have seen child labor in person in San Salvador.  When I went to go visit my family I saw so many kids that were working on the streets selling bread and other items. I would also see that the parents were just on the side doing their own thing while their children were doing all the hard work in the hot sun washing windows. I know that in San Salvador many kids don’t have a place to live and they live on the streets and tend to steal from stores just to eat. In my head I think to myself like why would someone let their children suffer like that.  I know that many kids start to work at a really young age because they want to help support their families and help their parents out to help them pay bills. They also start to work really early because the parents have fled to the United States to work and end up never coming back and the kids that they left behind have to work to support their siblings.  

There is a lot of child labor around many parts of the world and most often child labor is ignored.  I believed that countries that have child labor should acknowledge this problem and start to do something about it.

El Salvador