COVID-19 Fear and Stigma

#Iamnotavirus

Coronavirus are an extensive family of viruses, some of wich can cause various human diseases, ranging from common cold to SARS ( Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome).

On February 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced the official name: Coronavirus Disease 2019. Abbreviated COVID-19 "Co" corresponds to "Corona", "Vi" to virus, "D" to "Disease" and "19" year in which it was discovered. It is an infectious disease caused by the new strain of Coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans: Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).

It is not Wuhan Virus, Asian Virus or Chinese Virus. It is not correct to associate ethnic origin with infection since the name was deliberately chosen to avoid stigmatization.

Since the appearance of this virus, it has caused concern throughout the international community about its rapid spread and its alarming spread in different countries, causing loss of life and many infected people.

Although cases associated with COVID-19 are on the rise, at the same time discrimination has spread against people of Asian descent who are being associated with the disease. In general, the stigma about COVID-19 is due to ignorance of the emerging virus, fear, confusion and misinformation and influences the lack of empathy towards those who are being affected, we forget that we are human beings that we feel.

The coronavirus does not distinguish origin, culture, age or gender - anyone can develop the disease.

Discrimination is not justified and has negative consequences for stigmatized people. We cannot allow COVID-19 to serve as a vehicle for racism. Instead we can focus our energy on solutions and positive thoughts to combat infection and disinformation. Let's practice collective solidarity to support people affected by the virus. Don't lose humanity, be kind!

Misinformation can generate anxiety and fear among the population, creating stigmas. Reports with clear and objective information play an important role since they prevent the Coronavirus and discrimination.

Inform yourself through official media and thus avoid false news.

To know about the Coronavirus and how to prevent it visit:

https://www.unicef.org/stories/novel-coronavirus-outbreak-what-parents-should-know

Illustration structure of the SARS-CoV-2
Discrimination, fear and disinformation have spread as fast as the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Honduras