COVID-19: Living in a history textbook

a billboard saying thank you healthcare workers

These past 3 months have been incredibly stressful for everyone. Sometimes, it honestly doesn’t seem like real life. The Coronavirus is claiming thousands of lives around the world. It's not a joke. It's not a drill.

It's our responsibility to keep ourselves safe and by doing that, we keep those around us safe too. The proof is in the numbers. It’s in the amount of people whose lives are in danger because of this virus. I beg you. Stay home and wash your hands regularly. Don’t become a statistic. I understand that this is new to all of us. But that's only more reason to stay home and stay safe.

Mental health is a huge thing for everyone during this time. With most countries on lock down, the mere option of going out for coffee or lunch has been thrown out of the window. But we need to understand that this is for our own good. Use this time to explore those activities you’ve been putting off because you didn’t have time. You are not obligated to be constantly working, and again, this need to be doing something work or school related to feel good about ourselves is coming back. Taking time to do things that make you happy, even if they aren’t school or work related could save you! It’s called self care!

Be self aware.Trying to be productive when you’re not coping or doing well is never a good idea. Be self aware and do what is necessary to take care of your mental health while also remaining safe. Take that extra hour or two to sleep. Get your paints and make beautiful sunflowers to hang on your wall. Start a YouTube channel. Do photoshoots in your backyard. Exercise. These little things can get your mind off the chaos for just 5 seconds.

To all the heroes during this time making sure we have food, we’re safe, we’re healthy. Thank you for keeping the world running. You deserve all the praise in the world for your bravery and wholesomeness. These are people taking risks to be there for us, so we can be our best selves. Do the small deed of staying home with your family when those that are out there taking care of you can’t do the same.

South Africa