The Art of Uncharted Waters

VoY, Raisa, 2020

Isn’t it crazy whenever you look back and realize how much things have changed in just one year?

Such as schedules, routines, and so much that had been familiar was suddenly very different. Same as like someone who meant so much to you over the years can be a stranger in a blink of an eye, or someone who was just a stranger last year can mean so much to you now.

However, life is a wonderful journey that’s constantly changing, and nothing stays still; either for getting better or worse.

Trust meㅡit’s never easy to navigate the uncharted waters, even the best-laid plans can be derailed.

In fact, only God knows what’s best! But, a wise man once said:

“those who survive are the ones who most accurately perceive their environment and successfully adapt to it.”

Maybe you had listed all of your plans—and the universe thought otherwise so when life turns out the way the universe wanted, you think your world’s completely crumbling apart.

Nope, it’s not completely your fault. A lot of us have a fixed idea of how our lives “should be”.

I’ve learned that life made its own plans for me—to fall, to break, to be confused, to lose people I loved so much, to question myself, to take a job I hated, to start completely over. And sure, I fought like hell against all that.

But in those uncertainties, I rebuilt. 

Raisa Shahada

I never would have imagined being in this place, having these dreams, loving these people. I never thought I’d move across the country and have friends in different corners of the world.

You’re not alone, pals! No matter what life events you are facing, know that you are not alone!

A lot of us are going through the same thing, just remind yourself that you’re in the captain’s seat of your life, and just know that there’s always at least one person who understands what you’re going through.

It may sound cliché but for me, that person is my Mom. The one who has been there for me ever since I was a kid, and will always be there until forever.

Again, trust me, I’ve spent so much of my life trying to figure everything out (I still do this!) but the greatest lesson I have learned, and am still learning, is that I can’t control anything that happens to me. 

But I can control how I grow from it.

Sometimes those uncharted waters are the best ones in life—the ones you can't anticipate. You just learn how to both hold on and let go, and allow yourself to experience them, feel them, celebrate them, bloom from them. And continue forward, welcoming what comes.

Denmark