Not Our Typical Fast | Ramadan

Fasting

#Ramadan-Stories

On Fasting + Ramadan | Khaled

Ramadan is a time of special reflection, self-improvement, and heightened devotion and worship. During Ramadan, Muslims are expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam, and the fast is one way Muslims come closer to Allah.

Fasting as a spiritual act means that every Muslim should focus on getting closer to Allah, study and recite the Koran, and improve allegiance to Allah by giving to charity, practicing generosity in many ways, praying, and seeking forgiveness. On the other hand, fasting as a physical act means that Muslims have no food or drink from dawn until sunset, no sexual relations from dawn until sunset, no immoral behavior such as lying, deception, and other sins.

This year fasting is very different because of coronavirus. We usually visit the mosque at special times throughout the day, gathering in the midst of the fast to pray to Allah. We also gather with family and friends in the evening for Iftar as we break the fast. Unfortunately this year we will miss all of these activities.

Khaled is an English teacher at an international language school in Amman, Jordan.

Fasting as a spiritual act means that every Muslim should focus on getting closer to Allah.
Interviews
Jordan