Praying for the World | Ramadan

Prayer

#Ramadan-Stories

On Prayer + Ramadan | Aesa

Ramadan is the only time of year in which we fast for 30 days from sunrise to sunset, with prayer being a very important part of the process. We must pray five times per day, with the first prayer (Fajr) starting around 4:00 AM, just after our Suhoor meal. The second prayer (Dhuhr) begins around 1:15 PM, the third (Asr) around 5:00 PM, and the fourth prayer (Maghrib) around 8:00 PM. After Maghrib, we break our fast by eating Iftar. The fifth and final prayer of the day (Isha) begins after Iftar, which is around 9:30 PM. Ramadan is the only month in the year in which everyone is cleansing their hearts and minds through prayer and reading the Koran.

Because of COVID-19, the majority of mosques in the world have been closed, even during Ramadan. In Malta, where I live, a few mosques are open, but people are not allowed to pray side-by-side as they normally would. Last year, everyone would break their fast together at the mosque. Typically in the last ten days of Ramadan, many people stay in the mosque all day to close their prayers to God. This year, the call to prayer tells us ‘Al Salat Fi Beyootikum’, which means to ‘pray at home’.

Aesa is originally from Syria who is now based in Malta.

Typically in the last ten days of Ramadan, many people stay in the mosque all day to close their prayers to God. This year, the call to prayer tells us ‘Al Salat Fi Beyootikum’, which means to ‘pray at home’.
Interviews
Malta