81 days to give my mom a hug

Picture of the author on Lake Geneva, in Switzerland. Photo: Hyoeun Lee

I never would have imagined that it would take 81 days to give my mom a hug. This is my COVID-19 story. 

Settling into Geneva

With a pounding heart, I gave my mom a last hug in the airport and uprooted myself to Geneva on 27 January. I was heading to my new internship with the UNICEF campaigns team, full of expectations, ready to learn. I thought living in Geneva would be a good ‘trial run’ for living abroad. It was not the first time I was apart from my family; however, it was my first time in another country all alone.

Feeling alone

The hardest for me was the emotional isolation. 

I wasn’t much prepared to live in a place with a totally foreign language. I studied French before coming to Geneva, but I was not fluent. Everything was written in German or French and workers (at the grocery store, public transport, restaurants) mostly did not speak English. I felt totally foreign, an outsider. I didn’t have a single person to talk to. 

Fortunately, I made some friends. The first was a fellow UNICEF intern from China. She introduced me to more interns, and soon I was meeting more and more people. I went to a Korean church in Geneva and made a lot of friends. But I still could not shake this feeling of loneliness when I was on the street or at home alone. Suddenly, my work with UNICEF’s campaign for migrant children became personal. Though I came to Geneva to make opportunities for myself, I was overwhelmed.

Photo of the author and a fellow UNICEF Intern from China. Photo: Hyoeun Lee (March 9, 2020)
Photo of the author and a fellow UNICEF Intern from China.

Living in COVID lockdown

The pandemic was already an issue when I left Korea. But I didn’t think it would follow me to Europe. On 13 March, UNICEF changed to telecommuting.

I was worried about getting the virus, but I was also worried about discrimination. Some people yelled Chinese and Japanese words at me. I didn’t experience anything worse, but I was getting scared just by reading articles on harassment. I also worried about getting medical treatment in Switzerland. I thought that as a foreigner, it would be harder for me to get it. 

I dreaded the isolation in quarantine. My mom called me a lot, worrying. She asked me my thoughts on coming home. I started to think that at least I would not be alone if I went back. So, I made the decision: I was going back to South Korea in the middle of a global pandemic.

My way back to South Korea

I arrived in South Korea on 1 April. At my layover in Amsterdam, all passengers going to South Korea had to go through a temperature check. There were so many Koreans at the airport trying to go home. I almost forgot that I was in Amsterdam. Most were social distancing and wearing masks, but space was limited. Some shops were open, so luckily, I could buy a gift for my mom. 

When I arrived in Korea, I had to wait in line four hours for another temperature check. Airport officers, public health officers and the military were checking all international arrivals. We downloaded a self-quarantine application. Everyone had to quarantine for 14 days. People without COVID-19 symptoms could either go to a government quarantine facility or self-quarantine at a designated address. I chose to self-quarantine at my parents’ house. My mom picked me up at the airport, but we couldn’t hug.

Long line of people waiting for the temperature check at Incheon Airport in South Korea. Photo: Hyoeun Lee (April 1, 2020)
Long line of people waiting for the temperature check at Incheon Airport in South Korea.

Fourteen days of quarantine

I had to stay in my bedroom for 14 days. Health-care workers came for the first coronavirus testing – I needed a test at the beginning and end of quarantine. The result was negative, but I still had to stay in my room. The officer called me at least once a day to check in and verify that I hadn’t left my room. I had to input my symptoms twice a day on the app. 

I could not see my family – we ate together by video calls. Sometimes the connection was bad, and my sister would joke that I was still living in Switzerland. My mom cooked for me and left the meal outside my door. I had to use disposable dishes and chopsticks. I had to wear a mask and gloves to go to the bathroom. I had to disinfect regularly. 

At the end of my quarantine, health-care officers came to my house for the second coronavirus testing. I tested negative again. As soon as I told my mom, she came and gave me a hug. I was finally free. 

I know that it is a difficult time for all, especially for those separated from their families. Yet, I think this could be an opportunity for all of us to jump on our sense of solidarity – and use it to make an even better post-COVID world.
A box of quarantine fruits and vegetables package provided by the South Korean government during the coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic. Photo: Hyoeun Lee
A box of quarantine fruits and vegetables package provided by the South Korean government during the coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic.

Advice for people in quarantine

This journey was quite hard, but I think it was worth it, to avoid spreading the virus. 

It was a good time for self-reflection. I realized parts of me I didn’t know before – about what I like, what I value in my life. I also found so many people around me who were supportive of the decisions that I made with love. 

Republic of Korea