Social media influence on eating disorders

Text: Social media influence on eating disorders

It is undeniable that in the last decades social media has changed our perspective and way of communicating worldwide. 

This technological progress has led us to almost an immediate adaptation in the way of living, which in a certain way, has become more easygoing. However, this evidently has a negative impact on ourselves. 

The most vulnerable public to its negative effects and consequences is the youth. Due to their easy access to social networks, and their comprehensive immaturity, they tend to believe what they see; "perfect" lives, "perfect" bodies, "perfect" relationships, "perfect" families and it ends up affecting their realtiy because everything is surrounded by the false perfection of social networks.

In recent years, concerns involving physical appearance have seen to rapidly increase. The belief in society of body stereotypes, for both women and men, are the root for the development of eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. 

What do social networks have to do with this?  

Simple question. Social networks are partly the way by which society continues to believe, share and trust these false stereotypes, mainly through retouched posts.

An increasing number of people are sharing their concerns through these same social networks, due to the rising amount of eating disorder cases and continuous posts encouraging them. 

There is hope that one day everyone will show the world that there is no number, weight or size that determines you, because you are beautiful just the way you are.