Advice on what to do after college

Image of a busy campus with trees, inflatables, colorful flags

Finishing compulsory full-time education and figuring out what to do after college can be quite daunting, especially when you don’t know what to be. It was already extremely difficult for someone who knew what she wanted to do with her life, AKA, me.

Sometimes, I feel like I did not make the right choice going to university because it was what the majority were doing around me. I did not really think about what I wanted to gain from my life at university. Sometimes I feel like I just went to university to study English because I was always good at it, I liked writing, and I could get into any career I wanted, so it was very broad and flexible.

However, I sometimes regret rushing my decision. I feel that I didn’t necessarily need to get myself into so much debt when I had many different options, for example, going for an apprenticeship, trainee scheme, and every other thing I could have done, I did not.

So, this is my helpful tips for you guys who are probably making the same lifestyle career choice, which is, of course, a major decision.

1. Do not rush your decision. This is the most important one. Take your time. Even if you think that it is the end of the world, it is not, you are still young and have your whole lifetime ahead of you to make your decision. If you what to get a job first and earn money, do that. If you want to travel, do exactly that.
  2. Do what makes you happy, do not let others influence you. Don’t let others try to change your mind, do YOU, do what you want to do. Don’t feel pressured because all your other peers and classmates are doing it, do it because you want to, make the choice for yourself.
  3. For those of you who have somewhat of an idea of what direction you want to go in, do some thorough research. Which university is best for your chosen career, what exactly do you need, what skills/experience do you need to get into that particular field ect.
  4. Don’t do it for the money/loan. You may get a temporary influx of money into your bank account but do remember you will be in debt for a long time until you pay it off. Same goes for looking at the salary of a particular job, don’t go into it for the money. It is nice and everyone wants to earn loads after education but go for a career that you are passionate about and that you love because it will show. You’d rather do something you are happy with and not earn much than vice versa.